Domain name has not changed

Solved
AngelEva
2 0 0

Hi, when I first made an account I came up with some stupid name to get started until I actually thought of one. I hadnt bought the domain or "secured" it by any means. When I finally did come up with a name, I changed the store name and bought a domain but its still requiring I use the old name to log in to Zendrop and hasnt changed the domain address either. Going into domain settings it says the old name and current name are both connected. Do I need to wait it out, or can I remove the old one? Its not giving me an options to click on it or manage it.

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1192 155 194

This is an accepted solution.

Hey, @AngelEva. Welcome to the Community, and thanks for starting this topic. Domains on Shopify can be confusing to understand at first. Let me explain!

When you create a Shopify account using a particular business name, that name becomes the .myshopify.com domain name for your store. This url is specific to your account and cannot be changed, even if you update the store name in ‘Settings > General’, and so will always be used when logging in. To be able to have a different .myshopify.com url associated with your store, you would need to create a brand new account using the desired business name upon sign up.

However, you can "hide" your .myshopify.com url by using a custom domain! As you’ve determined, you can purchase a custom domain name from Shopify, or connect one from a third party hosting site. You will see both listed on your domains page when going to ‘Online Store > Domains’

Your customers on the other hand, will only see and use the domain name that is set as your primary domain. Once your custom domain is set as the primary domain, only you will know what the .myshopify.com url is; It will remain to show in your browser bar when you are logged into your admin, and you’ll use it when logging in and authenticating your account. However, on your storefront, only your custom domain will be visible. Does that make sense?

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
AngelEva
2 0 0

Oh okay that makes sense, thank you!

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1192 155 194

You’re welcome, @AngelEva! I’m happy I was able to clarify it for you. How is the rest of your store set up coming along?

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes