Domain security

Solved
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Just bought a domain through Shopify. Delighted it was working within minutes rather than the expected 48 hours. However, when I use my new URL on Chrome, rather than the usual padlock image next to the address, there's a "Not secure" exclamation. That's not going to make shoppers feel confident is it? Anything I can do?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
683 85 122

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @GelertDesign,

Hank here from Shopify.

The most common reason that your SSL is still pending is due to what is known as domain propagation which can take up to 72 hours to update across servers worldwide, although it is normally resolved within a few hours. However, when it goes outside of this, it is usually down to the DNS settings when connecting your domain.

When a domain is purchased from within Shopify, your DNS records are automatically set, but I will share below the steps of how to connect your domain.

The most important thing to note is to ensure that there are not multiple A records associated. You will need to ensure that only one A record is associated as this will have a direct effect with your SSL certificate. I will share a snippet from the guide below for ease of access!

24-15-aieix-q4c1g

Can you share your URL, and I can check the DNS settings? Note that once you make any changes to the URL, it can take up to 72 hours as previously mentioned.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 0

Thank you Hank. But the padlock has just appeared all by itself after just a few hours of buying the URL through you guys, so I'm assuming everything is A OK and I don't need to do anything?

The URL is gelertdesign.com though if you need to check

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
683 85 122

That is awesome to hear, thank you for confirming!

The SSL certs can appear once the propagation time has passed, so that sounds perfectly normal.

I took a look at your domain using this website and I do see multiple A records. To be certain that your domain is 100% reliable, I would remove the option that I've highlighted below, and ensure you only have one A record with a value of 23.227.38.65.

28-30-au9x3-57kzl

Let me know if you have any further questions and best of luck with your store!

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes