Domains

Silvary
Tourist
5 0 0

Hi I am a complete newbie to Shopify & generally no technical knowledge, so I will try and ask my questions simply and if possible can I get simple replies please ...

I have an e-commerce with another provider whom I not happy with. I need to give them a months notice to leave - having been trading & using them for 3 months

i have purchased my own domain & have access to change DNS records A, CNAME etc

my questions are:

I have started the 14 day trail - can I extend this to A) coincide with my above notice period  B) have no transition lack or loss of sales

my domain does not match the Shopify store name - does that change when I apply DNS code?

can I re-route my email ( I got one free with the above domain)?

I believe I get an automatic SSL certificate with Shopify?

will my Shopify store go live from day 1 to enable me to take payments etc or is there a verification time on payments etc? sorry for the long winded post I’m a bit out of my depth on websites etc

if you think I need to know or do anything else please feel free to add!

many many thanks for your time!! 

0 Likes
JoesIdeas
Shopify Expert
1195 106 290

Hi @Silvary  welcome to Shopify. We just finished a store migration project for a client (moved from another platform to Shopify, duplicated their site design, helped them with apps), so I have a fresh perspective on this.

Answers to your questions:

I have started the 14 day trail - can I extend this to A) coincide with my above notice period  B) have no transition lack or loss of sales
I don't think so but you have 2 other options: A) you could start a new trial when you're close to your transition period. B) If you work with a Shopify partner, we have access to "development stores". So, for example, we can create a store for free and have everything set up, then convert to a paid plan when you're ready to launch.

If you're not working with a developer, option A is good, I would start that a month before your end date, that gives you plenty of time to set up the new store and get things organized.

my domain does not match the Shopify store name - does that change when I apply DNS code?
This doesn't matter, your domain and Shopify store can be named anything. You can change your Shopify store name, but the myshopify url is permanent (this is only used for admin purposes so it doesn't have to reflect the actual brand name).

Essentially your domain is just a pointer to your Shopify server that hosts your website.

Yes, you can use any email address you want.

I believe I get an automatic SSL certificate with Shopify?
Yes that's true, it's included in the plan

will my Shopify store go live from day 1 to enable me to take payments etc or is there a verification time on payments etc? sorry for the long winded post I’m a bit out of my depth on websites etc
Once you have everything hooked up you can start accepting payments immediately. You don't even need to update your domain, for example, once you activate a paid plan and have enabled Shopify payments, you can go to your-store-url.myshopify.com and do an actual order.

If you want professional guidance or need theme customizations feel free to reach out to my team at speedboostr.com/contact. We do complete builds / setups, and also for people on a budget a common move is them setting up as far as they can go, then sending us a list of tasks to finish it off. Happy to help however we can.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization experts, theme customization, custom app development).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (first performance analysis tool for Shopify sites, free for the Shopify community).
Creator of Order Automator (auto tag orders and customers + auto fulfill orders + email notifications).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app) and Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
Peter
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
2025 163 437

@JoesIdeas 

Thank you for hopping in to help with these questions!

@Silvary 

I wanted to clarify a few points that have been made. 

• In most cases, you should be offered an automatic trial extension near the end of your 14-day trial - It can be actioned by you; however, this isn't the case for all stores. We're happy to offer a one-time trial extension of 14 days if you need it. You'll just want to reach out to our support teams (see info below). 

• Shopify does not provide an email client. If you transfer the domain to Shopify, then the domain would be eligible for email forwarding; however, if you need a full email, then you will need to consider using a third-party email client such as Zoho, or Gsuite. Alternatively, you can transfer the domain to another domain provider such as GoDaddy which offers an email client. You can then point the domain to Shopify. 

• To add to the answer above - If you select a plan while you're in the trial period, you will not be charged for the plan until your trial ends. However; a plan & payment method is required in order to disable the password in Online Store/Preferences & to enable the checkout process. If you're not in a region that supports Shopify Payments, then you will need to set up an account with a payment provider that is available for your region. You can view a full list of available payment providers for your country by selecting your country in the list here

If you're looking for more information on how to set up your store, then I'd recommend signing up for our free Shopify Compass course. You can also view our general checklist to ensure you've set everything up before you launch. 

You can also reach out to our 24/7 support through our help centre here, or through Facebook & Twitter if you have any questions along the way!

Peter | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog