Donated / Gifted - how to record?

Highlighted
3 0 0

What is the best way to record products that are donated / given away / gifted?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
507 42 110

Hi, @djbetterly!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

I can definitely see how recording products that were donated or gifted would be useful. How often do you donate or give products away? Is this a pretty common occurrence? How are you currently handling this? 

What you could do is add an order tag to these particular orders. This works for both orders created through your online store and draft orders manually created by yourself, and the tag could be something as simple as "donated", or "gifted". Here's what an order tag looks like in your order details page: 

02-41-kqcjc-fdkyn

Once you've added a tag to these orders, you'll be able to search for them by filtering your orders by tag from the Orders page in your Admin. To search by tag, you'll just need to select More filters > Tag. This will help you easily track down which orders have products that were donated or given away. Here's what a filtered order search would look like in your Admin: 

02-43-2zf9q-7fsep

To record exactly which products were donated or given away, I recommend adding an order note to these particular orders. This is what an order note will look like in the order details page: 

02-38-8oji2-yjelf

I hope this method works for you and I'm curious to know how you're currently managing this. Feel free to reply and let me know. Looking forward to hearing from you! 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Hi, 

I think many businesses do gifting - often for marketing purposes - and I too have the same question. How would I mark the order, as paid? I don't want mark it as paid and have it on the record that I received payment for the item. I would like to have it recorded as an expense (cost of product) on the finance report. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 1

Nevermind, I figured it out. For anyone looking for an answer, there's an option to add a discount so I just put 100%.

1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 2

Is there a way to remove these tagged gifted orders from our average sales amount? We don't want it to affect our real sales data by pulling in this gifted influencer product.

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
507 42 110

Hi, @Becky_B!

While there isn't necessarily a way to filter and edit your reports by order tag, there are some reporting apps in the Shopify App Store that will allow you to create custom reports. 

A few popular options I recommend checking out include Data Export Report, Report Pundit, and Better Reports. These apps all have great reviews and give you the ability to filter reports by tags, which should provide you with the sales data you're looking for. They also include free trials, so it would be worth installing them to see which one suits your needs the best. If you ever need support with any of these apps, you can always reach out to the developers directly via the Support section on each app's About page. 

Otherwise, you could choose to export your orders, then manually edit your CSV file to exclude any orders that have been tagged. Once that's done, you'll be able to view the total number of sales for those particular orders. While this method can be time consuming, it is another option to consider.

That being said, how are you creating these gifted orders? Are you creating draft orders? If you aren't charging anything for those particular products then you can simply apply a 100% discount, which will bring the total order value to $0. Because you aren't actually accepting payments for these orders, they won't be included in your sales reports.

I hope this makes sense! Feel free to respond here if you have any further questions. 

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes