Downloading and re-uploading all product images

Highlighted
7 0 0

I have over 1000 products on my website with images. Each image is 600kb+, I would like to download all of them, optimize the image and re-upload them in a smaller size.'

Is there a shortcut to downloading all the images, and replace them all at once I upload them with the same name? Or do I have to do it one by one again?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff (Retired)
Shopify Staff (Retired)
10 0 4

Hi, GK!

Andres from the Social Support Team here :)

That's quite a lot of images to update, so I understand the need to quickly update them all in one go! Thankfully, there are a couple of options:

1. Through the use of a CSV (comma separated value) spreadsheet, you can quickly download, update product information, and then upload those changes back to your Shopify store. While a CSV only contains text information, it does have your product's image URLs. Potentially, you could download the images using the URL links and make the appropriate changes. Once you have the edited photos, you can then upload those images to Shopify (or any hosting site like Dropbox) to create unique URLs which you can replace in the CSV. You can read more about how to use CSVs HERE.

2. Through the use of an app, like PxUpload, you bulk upload product images to your Shopify store. Keep in mind that apps often come at an extra cost. You can view more options in our App Store HERE.

I apologize for the lack of more direct option, but I'll make sure to pass your question along to the appropriate teams.

Take care, GK!

Andres | Social Support Team
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 0 0

Has there been more clarification on this? I was able to download 2,000 of my product images, edit them, and now I am ready to re-upload, but it seems like pxUpload can't find the images with the same name. Do the images change names when they are downloaded somehow?

0 Likes