Dropshipping: How can I add multiple shipping rates at checkout?

TGMLTD
1 0 0

Hey!

We're an online marketplace, featuring products from lots of different brands around the UK. As we're dropshipping, the brands carry the responsibility of shipping each product to the customer. 

Each brand has their own shipping cost and we're currently incorporating each of these costs into our product prices - which is making them a lot more expensive! It also means that when customers buy x2 items from the same brand, they're paying for shipping TWICE!

We wondered if there was a tool, or a method, to adding individual shipping costs from brands at checkout.

So, if someone is ordering x3 t-shirts from BRAND A and x2 shoes from BRAND B, at checkout there will be BRAND A's shipping cost added and BRAND B's shipping cost added.

Any advice on how to handle this would be most welcome!

THANKS!

0 Likes
Hilary
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
84 24 12

Hi, @TGMLTD!

Welcome to the Shopify Community! Hilary here from Shopify Support. Happy to help out. 

You can charge different shipping rates for different products or brands through the use of different shipping profiles. Once we set this up, the rates will be automatically combined at checkout, and your customers will only see one total shipping price. If you believe that a higher product cost is stopping your customers from making a purchase, this will be a great solution. 

To do this, you will need to create a new shipping profile for each brand, add the correct products, and setup the new shipping rates. I'll walk you through how to do this: 

1. From your Shopify admin, go to Settings > Shipping and delivery.

2. Under Shipping > Custom shipping rates, click Create new profile.

3. Enter a name for the profile. For example, "Brand A".

4. In the Products section, use the search bar to add products from that brand to the shipping profile.

5. Make sure the correct location is added for this brand. Refer to Manage your locations for more information.

6. Add each shipping zone that you want to ship to in your shipping profile. Here are the steps:

1. In Shipping to, click Create shipping zone.
    2. Name the shipping zone. 
    3. Select the countries or regions that are part of the zone, and then click Done.
    4. For each shipping rate you want in the zone, click Add rate, set the shipping price for this brand, and then click Done. Refer to shipping rates for more information. 
  7. Click Save.

Repeat the same process for Brands B and C. One thing to remember is that each product or variant can only belong to one shipping profile at a time. Once you move a product to a new profile, the rates you setup inside that profile will be used at checkout. 

Once you have done this, you can test the rates by adding one product to your cart from Brand A, and another product from Brand B. You will see that the rates are combined at checkout. If you add two products from Brand A, and remove any products from Brand B, however, the customer will only be charged the Brand A shipping rate once. 

Let me know how this goes! How is your dropshipping business going so far? Are you focused on a specific industry or product type? 

Hilary | Community Moderator @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes