Solved

Duplicating product to add new but similiar, what to do with Search Engine Listing Preview

HeckYeahGear
Tourist
3 0 1

Thanks for looking at this!

Ive searched and read but could not find this particular part of my puzzle....

Our store has custom cups all of the same size but different designs so we list them as seperate products, sorted by their design categories, no problems there.  I have been using the "duplicate item" then changing the name, adding the correct pictures, then hitting save.  it works.

but, I recently noticed Search Engine Listing Preview has a url that shows "copy of....." then a redirect option to the new title I just typed in.  Is this OK to leave alone or does it need editing?  I would hate for the future of my SEO be off due to my doing something wrong now while building.

Any suggestions??

Accepted Solution (1)
JHKCreate
Shopify Expert
3571 639 917

This is an accepted solution.

You just modify it, making sure each handle is unique then hit save. If it's showing red that means the handle is already taken and thus needs to be unique.

Did we solve your issue? Like & Mark As Solution to help the community
Should you need any direct help: contact@jhkcreate.com

Learn more about us: jhkcreate.com

View solution in original post

Replies 4 (4)

JHKCreate
Shopify Expert
3571 639 917

Hi @HeckYeahGear !

That's an easy fix, select all product and click "Edit", then add the "URL and Handle" field. You can then modify them in bulk.

Alternatively, on the product page itself scroll all the way down and click on this:

JHKCreate_0-1611165798749.png

Don't forget to Mark As Solution & Like to make the answer more visible to the community, Cheers!

PS: Changes will take a few days to show on the Search Console as Google indexes them again.

HeckYeahGear
Tourist
3 0 1

yes thats excatly where I am thank you, when I hit edit website seo, then go to URL handle are, the last part is underlined iin red and thats the part that shows the previous duplicated items descriptor.  an option then pops up with a check box for create a URL redirect.....and its checked yes.  Does this automatically change the URL to the new item im inputting or do I need to change it manually?  And if manually is there something that is copy/pasted in the field?

JHKCreate
Shopify Expert
3571 639 917

This is an accepted solution.

You just modify it, making sure each handle is unique then hit save. If it's showing red that means the handle is already taken and thus needs to be unique.

HeckYeahGear
Tourist
3 0 1

ok I have it figured out now, it does work in the bulk editor to copy the title and paste it in the correct area where the red line is in ther URL handle area..  When I hit save it puts the appropriate dashes between the words as needed.  Thank You, I have a lot of copy pasting to do.  The problem I now realize is that when I was hitting duplicate, I didnt change the title first before hitting the final duplicate product button, so now all my seo areas say "copy of" and old original products title.