EIN

Highlighted
3 0 0

Why is Shopify asking for a personal ss# instead of business EIN?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1388 136 376

Hey there, @MBHH 

Bo here from Shopify Support!

That is a great question. The SSN requirement is part of the underwriting process. As per the Shopify Payments Terms of Service, an individual is required to act as the Shopify Payments account representative. Our banking partners need to be able to verify the identity of an account representative to ensure they are who they say they are and that they are over eighteen. This is why we need an SSN as opposed to an EIN. Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with, I'm happy to help!

All the Best,

Bo

Bo - Social Care @ Shopify

Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
Hi Bo,

Our accountants are wondering if it’s acceptable to provide a 1099K, 1099 MISC and/or a W9 instead of a social security number to complete the underwriting process.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1388 136 376

Hey again! 

That's a good question. I ran this by our Shopify Payments team and they let me know that merchants are required to provide the last 4 digits of their SSN as verification.1099K, 1099 MISC and/or a W9 would not suffice. There is no way to bypass this step. I understand that this is probably not what you wanted to hear but I hope it clears things up!

All the Best,

Bo

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0
Hi again,

In addition to the social security number, our Shopify account has document upload requests- a government issued ID and proof of address. Are both required as well?

Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1388 136 376

Hello again, @MBHH 

If there has been a request made for a photo ID in your admin please do upload one. Thank you.

Bo 

0 Likes