ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECT for some users but not others

saltygirltees
3 0 0

Hi there,

I am having an issue with too many redirects when navigating to our site www.saltygirltees.com. We recently changed the domain from www.salty-girl-tees.myshopify.com. I have changed the DNS records (CNAME and A). While I am able to view the website just fine on my phone and PC in multiple browsers without any issue, my partner is getting this error: ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECT on her PC and phone.

I did find an additional A record in the DNS settings which I have deleted. We have cleared her cashe and cookies, but the error persists. We could use some help.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
887 93 139

Hey, @saltygirltees! Welcome to the Community, and thanks for starting this thread.

That’s great that you’ve already tried clearing your browser cache to troubleshoot the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECT message you are receiving when attempting to visit your storefront; That’s the first step we always recommend trying. Although in your case, I noticed that your SSL certificates haven’t provisioned just yet, as seen below. Therefore, I suspect this is what’s causing the issue.

21-02-3p387-ggei9

It can take up to 48 hours for the SSL certificates to provision after you’ve connected a new domain, or made any changes to your DNS settings. So, if it hasn’t been that long yet, it should automatically happen within that time frame, and the ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECT message will no longer appear. 

How long ago did you connect your custom domain? Do you see a ‘SSL Pending’ notification next to your domain when you go to ‘Online Store > Domains’ in your Shopify admin?

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
saltygirltees
3 0 0

Hi Helen,

Thanks so much for the reply. I was able to fix the redirect issue by disabling redirects in the Domain menu. So, that part is fixed.

We submitted the custom domain on 2/13 and still show the SSL certificate as pending. I wasn't sure what the process is for this. We have an SSL certificate set up for this domain through our hosting company and configured the DNS settings to point to Shopify. Does Shopify issue their own certificate independent of the domain host? I'd like to get this nailed down too as it is creating some problems with Google Search Console.

Cheers,

Brad

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
887 93 139

Happy to hear you were able to fix the domain redirect issue @saltygirltees, and great question about the SSL certificate.

Yes, SSL certificates are activated by default, independent from what your domain host provides. Since you did make some changes to your domain settings though, there is a 48 hour timeframe for these changes to update and take effect. The SSL should provision within that time, and I just went to your storefront and can see that it is now good to go!

21-02-h7ri2-9xm5i

In the future, if you were to experience the SSL pending longer than 48 hours after any changes, then the next steps are to contact a Support Advisor via live chat, callback or email. They will be able to access your account and attempt to resolve it (providing all settings are correct), by manually provisioning the certificates for you.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

0 Likes
saltygirltees
3 0 0

Hi Helen,

I am still seeing the site is unsecured

CaptureSaltyGirl.PNG

The portal is still showing pending and it was submitted 6 days ago.

CaptureSaltyGirl2.PNG

I will try contacting a support advisor as you suggested. Thank you very much for your help.

Brad

0 Likes
Helen
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
887 93 139

You’re welcome, @saltygirltees! That is very unusual to have it still showing as unsecured though, especially since it is showing as secure from my end. 

I recommend clearing the cache on your browser. This can sometimes help if it’s a matter of your browser not having yet updated to the changes. But otherwise reaching out via chat, phone or email is the next step. All the best!

0 Likes