EU Import One Stop Shop (IOSS) support

Max1957
Excursionist
24 0 19
0 Likes
ShavingTimeDave
Tourist
7 0 4
I tried twice to register on the Irish site and have received this on 23rd April

Hi Dave

We are waiting confirmation on whether UK traders will need to use an intermediary to register for the Import Scheme.

We are advising UK traders to hold off applying for the Import scheme (via an intermediary) until we receive confirmation.

I will contact you as soon as I receive this.

Kind regards
Niamh

Niamh Maguire | IE VAT OSS | Office of the Revenue Commissioners, Personal Division, Louth District, Millennium Centre, Dundalk, Co. Louth, Ireland.
• +353-858586194 |•mossnsd@revenue.ie

Max1957
Excursionist
24 0 19

Dave, Interesting.  I read the whole EU document regarding IOSS and I thought that it was pretty clear that an intermediary was NOT required - but maybe I was reading it solely from the perspective of my UK on-line business.  I have held off registering until I understand what Shopify are going to do ....

0 Likes
ShavingTimeDave
Tourist
7 0 4

I know, Shopify released this in April https://www.shopify.com/blog/eu-vat-changes-2021

But the IOSS pages clearly states this: https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/vat/ioss_en

ShavingTimeDave_0-1621277487372.png

This is what I received from support@shopify 

Washington (Shopify)

Apr 30, 2021, 13:34 EDT

Hi Dave,

Washington here from Shopify Support. Thank you for reaching out to us, and I'll be helping Andy with emails today.

To answer your IOSS tax system concern, while our Product team is aware of this, we do not currently have any public documentation. We won't until we have a process in place. In the meantime, just as Andy mentioned we would recommend reaching out to your local Tax authority for more information about the changes. You can also check our Shopify Changelog - Click here for updates about this when it is available.

If you need anything else, please feel free to reach out to us again. I'll be more than glad to help you out whenever & wherever.

Kind regards,
Washington | Shopify Support

0 Likes
Christian48
Excursionist
17 0 12

Thanks for the link .  Having read what  has posted, I will hold off for now on applying.

It would seem that UK sellers, selling to the EU will be in the same position from 1st July as non-UK sellers, selling to the UK were on 1st Jan. I haven't seen any functionality added to Shopify to help address the new VAT rules in relation to the supply of goods to the UK from the 1st Jan, so I'm not hopeful Shopify will be forthcoming with a solution for 1st July.

0 Likes
ShavingTimeDave
Tourist
7 0 4

I have applied again and received the below email. I have also read here https://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/threads/eu-ioss-signup.412355/ that Royal Mail are going to be an intermediary for UK customers and I am requesting additional information from my RM Account Manager. 

The details of an intermediary are here: https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part10-special-schemes/vat-ecommerce...

1.4.3 What is an intermediary for the IOSS?
An intermediary is a person that has their business establishment or a fixed
establishment in the EU and represents a taxable person for the purpose of the IOSS.
If a person has no establishment in the EU, they cannot act as an intermediary.
To act as an intermediary, that person will first need to register as an intermediary
for the purpose of the scheme. The Member State of registration will be the
Member State where the intermediary is established. If the intermediary has not
established their business in the EU but has multiple fixed establishments in the EU,
the Member State of registration will be the Member State with a fixed
establishment where the intermediary indicates that they will make use of the
Tax and Duty Manual VAT eCommerce – Registration for the OSS and IOSS from 1 April 2021
scheme. The intermediary will be bound by this decision for the calendar year
concerned and the two calendar years following.
Upon registration, the intermediary will be allocated an intermediary identification
number. It is only once the intermediary is registered as such for the IOSS, that they
may register taxable persons that they have been appointed to represent. The
intermediary will receive a separate IOSS identification number for each person they
represent under the scheme.
Where an intermediary is appointed to represent a supplier under the IOSS, the
intermediary will have responsibility for the payment of the VAT due and the
fulfilment of the VAT obligations of the supplier under the scheme. Such obligations
include the filing of returns and record-keeping obligations.
A taxable person cannot appoint more than one intermediary to represent them at
the same time.
To register as an intermediary in Ireland, a person will first need to apply for a Tax
Advisory Identification Number (TAIN). Where an intermediary is registered here and
wants to register a taxable person for the IOSS, the intermediary and their client will
be required to complete and submit an IOSS intermediary link notification

Dear David,

I note that you have reapplied for the Union Oss Scheme. This application has been disapproved. You will receive an automated email seeking further clarification, please ignore this. As previously advised the IOSS scheme would be most suitable for your business. A non-EU business (UK included) must engage the services of an intermediary for the purposes of the IOSS scheme.

More information on the scheme and the role of the intermediary is available here

Kind Regards,

Rachel

Rachel Williams  | IE VAT OSS | Office of the Revenue Commissioners, Personal Division, Louth District, Millennium Centre, Dundalk, Co. Louth, Ireland.

( +353-42-42179 |*ossnsd@revenue.ie

0 Likes

We have an EU Intermediary solution where you can register for an EU VAT number and IOSS ID along with completing monthly EU VAT returns. Takes all the pain away and will make sure that you're compliant. Links below with how to get in touch. Hope this helps everyone.

IOSS information and intermediary contact details click here. 

UK to EU DDP Parcel service details click here

0 Likes
BetterReportsT
Tourist
18 0 1

Hi @Max1957 

Tiia here from the Better Reports support team.

I believe our app Better Reports may be able to help. While we are not able to manage how taxes are applied to an order, we can create sales reports that list our standard sales metrics including gross sales, net sales, and total sales by country (either shipping or billing country).  We can also create reports that show sales grouped by "Is in the EU" or "Is not in the EU".

Additionally, we can create reports that list all taxes that have been charged by order.  These reports can be set up to show a summary by month or quarter and can also be scheduled to send your email or Google Drive at set frequencies (i.e. weekly/monthly/quarterly).

In addition to building custom reports to meet your specific needs, you'll also get access to 60+ built-in reports that cover many common use cases for merchants and all of the reports can be directly exported to Excel, csv, or pdf.

I encourage you to install Better Reports and start your free 14-day trial, and I'll be happy to set this up for you!

0 Likes
BetterReportsT
Tourist
18 0 1

Hi @MarshallF,

Tiia here from the Better Reports support team.

I believe our app Better Reports may be able to help. While we are not able to manage how taxes are applied to an order, we can create sales reports that list our standard sales metrics including gross sales, net sales, and total sales by country (either shipping or billing country).  We can also create reports that show sales grouped by "Is in the EU" or "Is not in the EU".

Additionally, we can create reports that list all taxes that have been charged by order.  These reports can be set up to show a summary by month or quarter and can also be scheduled to send your email or Google Drive at set frequencies (i.e. weekly/monthly/quarterly).

In addition to building custom reports to meet your specific needs, you'll also get access to 60+ built-in reports that cover many common use cases for merchants and all of the reports can be directly exported to Excel, csv, or pdf.

I encourage you to install Better Reports and start your free 14-day trial, and I'll be happy to set this up for you!

0 Likes
MarshallF
Tourist
6 0 12
SamosEcommerce - thanks for the information. It appears that you are UK
based. Can you/do you work with companies based in the US (or, for the
benefit of other readers, any non-UK country) on the EU VAT scheme
described in the article?
Thanks.
MarshallF
0 Likes