EU Import One Stop Shop (IOSS) support

EUlawgeek
Tourist
6 0 3

I concur. I am surprised so many companies are saying that you need an intermediary. Sometimes against extraordinary prices. I wonder if they can prove that. The EU site says that third country sellers "normally" need an intermediary. My interpretation is that a UK business can register individually in any EU country. This is because in the EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement (TCA) there is a clause that EU and UK will cooperate in VAT fraud matters. There is another EU legal document that says that biz from third countries that  have an agreement with the EU to cooperate on VAT fraud will not have to use an intermediary. Bear with me, I am building this legal case. In the meantime, I am happy to know where all those that advocate intermediary services got this from.

0 Likes

If you try and register for IOSS in an EU state as a UK company you can't get passed 1st stage registration. I haven't heard of a UK company successfully registering for IOSS without instructing an EU Intermediary. It would be be great to know if this changes, but for now instructing an EU based Intermediary has been the only way for a UK company to get an IOSS ID number. We have been successfully helping our customers by referring them to EU Intermediaries we identified to get them set up on the IOSS scheme. We also took a conscious decision to help anyone else that is confused, needs IOSS help, and an EU Intermediary to get them started, so let us know. For more info and to get in touch click here.

Hope that helps!

0 Likes
EUlawgeek
Tourist
6 0 3

This is interesting. I would like to hear more from people with experience with the IOSS registration process. My interpretation of the law is that this should be possible but the practice might be different. At the moment and intermediary seems to be the most risk-free option, but if not strictly necessary, businesses can save costs.

NicheMiche
Tourist
6 0 3

I am curious to know this too. I cannot see how to integrate Taxamo in Shopify?....can it? It states it will integrate Magento from 1st July, but does not mention Shopify?

Our EU sales just dropped off the moment Brexit kicked in on 1st january. Until then, we sold more units into the EU than anywhere else. Now we only do about 4 sales a week into the EU, but we are desperate to get them back, so feel we need to be IOSS registered. At this point everyone, including our accountant is truly confused by it all!

For now, it makes sense to bite the bullet and instruct an EU Intermediary to get you set up with an IOSS ID and EU VAT number. You'll need to get your skates on if you're going to do this before 1st July. If the rules change and IOSS ID registration etc & monthly EU VAT returns is opened up to UK companies directly (not via EU based intermediary) who's to say that you can't terminate your EU intermediary contract if you make this potential outcome a clause from the outset. For the sake of a few hundred Euros to get set up now, you'll have an EU VAT and IOSS ID, and this may be cheaper than risking lost sales, or increased freight charges by not being on the IOSS scheme.

0 Likes
Max1957
Excursionist
24 0 19

I echo all your points.  Having had my IOSS registration rejected by the Ireland authorities on the basis that the UK doesnt have a mutual assistance agreement with the EU, I am at a loss as to what to do.  My accountant is likewise unclear about it all, having done extensive research it seems that confusion reigns...

P.S. If anyone needs help with sourcing an EU intermediary and getting an IOSS ID and EU VAT we have some EU intermediaries that we can put you in touch with. You can contact us by clicking here.

Hope that helps!

0 Likes
NicheMiche
Tourist
6 0 3

But how, with whatever we do, do we set up the IOSS into Shopify? Taxamo has no app for this?. SamosEcommerce, how would yours integrate?

Thanks

0 Likes
Bibico_Admin
Excursionist
28 0 9

I agree its a nightmare I I think the situation will be changing daily.

I see Royal Mail testing a solution that could avoid ioss registration but work in the same way > https://www.royalmail.com/import-one-stop-shop-ioss 

I think I will start with taxamo or these guys https://www.crossborderit.com/ioss first, if later we can reg for ioss in the UK we can change and have not paid big ioss regisitration fees (which most ioss intermediaies are charging.)

MarshallF
Tourist
6 0 12

I appreciate all the discussion and helpful suggestions posted on this board, and I notice that most of you seem to be in the UK. I'm wondering if there are any participants who sell from the US, as do I? Our issues and solutions are slightly different (the commercial intermediaries suggested seem to only be able to work with UK based sellers) and I'm interested in learning what others (US) have discovered.  Also, I'm a very small company and I have few sales  to the EU and even fewer of less than €185.  Anyone else dealing with a similar situation?

0 Likes