EXporting to CSV problem

Solved
Mayera
3 0 0

Hi guys,

I am desperate for some help. Everytime I export a report of products sold into CVS from the site, it comes out with special characters in them replacing some of the vowels.

Like this: "gyerek okosóra kiegészítÅ‘" instead of this  "Gyerek okosóra kiegészítők". These are hungarian characters. 

I have tried switching to hungarian excel, nothing changed. I made sure it is decoded as UNICODE (UTF-8) and tried to import from CSV or txt format. Again nothing changed. The problem is that the CSV dowloaded from Shopify already contains these characters and I can't think of anything else to do to change them back.

Please let me know if you know any solution to this, it would mean a lot.

Thanks

0 Likes
channelup
Shopify Partner
250 11 35

Hi

Excel doesn't support opening CSV files with UTF-8 characters so try doing the following:

1. Open Excel
  2. Import the data using Data > Import External Data > Import Data (or From Text option)
  3. Select the file type of “csv” and browse to file
  4. In the import wizard change the File Origin to “65001 Unicode (UTF 8)” (or choose correct language character identifier)
  5. Change the delimiter to comma
  6. Select where to import to and Finish

Hopefully that helps.

Regards

Tom

Channelup is a product data management solution helping Shopify stores automate their processes.
If you require custom development or would like to test out our features contact me at tom@channelup.io
0 Likes
Mayera
3 0 0

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your response. I have tried that with the downloaded CSV from Shopify.

1.PNG

Yet it stays the same way, nothing changes when I load it in.

0 Likes
channelup
Shopify Partner
250 11 35

Hi

Are the characters correct within Shopify? If so can you send me a sample of the file to my email and I will have a look? - tom@channelup.io

Regards

Tom

Channelup is a product data management solution helping Shopify stores automate their processes.
If you require custom development or would like to test out our features contact me at tom@channelup.io
0 Likes
channelup
Shopify Partner
250 11 35

This is an accepted solution.

The solution was to open the file with notepad not excel. In there confirm the characters look ok so there was no issue with export.

Then do the following:

1. Open the file in notepad
  2. Copy all the contents of notepad file
  3. Open a new excel file
  4. In the first cell paste the contents from notepad file
  5. Select first column and under Data menu click Text to Columns and select comma as delimiter then finish.

Regards

Tom