Ecommerce purchases not tracking through into Google Analytics

Highlighted
1 0 0

Hey there,

I had a purchase more than 24 hours ago on our website. It's showing in Shopify but has not pulled through into GA. 

I have checked that the Analytics code and Tag Manager have been implemented correctly. Enhanced Ecommerce is turned on in Google Analytics and has been ticked in the Shopify online preferences.

Is it possible that the customer did not wait until the checkout/thank_you page had loaded and therefore, the data did not pull through? If not, any other suggestions?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 58 118

Hey, hannahvyne!

I'm Lizzy, a Guru on the support team at Shopify.

It is possible, if you're using a third party gateway, that customers aren't being directed back to a thank you page. If that is the case, it will affect your Google Analytics tracking. There are still a few things we can look over to make sure everything is set up correctly with your Google Analytics.

The first is your Additional Scripts. When you go to Settings>Checkout and scroll down to the Additional Scripts box, is there anything in there? You can try removing any code from there and run a test checkout. Sometimes code added into that area can affect our integration with Google Analytics and cause events to not capture correctly.

The second area to check is your funnels. You can read through this guide to see if your funnels and goals within Google Analytics are set up correctly to capture the events you would like to see.

Making sure that these areas are in good shape will help us make sure there are no errors with your connection. Let me know how the testing goes! If you have any other questions about it let me know. You can give us a call too or start a live chat at any time. We're here 24/7 and are always happy to help out!

Thank you,

Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hey Lizzy!

I encountered the same issue on my website and Google Analytics. Recently I just put the conversion tracking code for Google Ads inside the Additional Scripts for the Checkout page. Can that code affect the tracking for Google Analytics?

I have to mention that even before I added the code on the Checkout page, from time to time some purchases would still miss from the reports in Google Analytics.

Thank you,

Iulia

0 Likes