Email & Domain Question

Tourist
4 0 1

Hello all - before anyone bites my head off - I did search and found confusing posts.

• We have a domain that was purchased long before we met up with Shopify.
  • We have a live shopify store (as you can see) wordfun.myshopify.com
  • We have been using our email account for the domain to contact/reply/market with people.
  • We want to use our real domain not storename.myshopify.com. More professional.
  • We want to keep our email inboxes/outboxes etc. Using a forwarder won't work for us. We need to send real mail from our real domain.

Has anyone ever been able to make this work without chucking Shopify for Magento or something else?

thank you for any help,

Rick

0 Likes
1 0 1

Hi

Yes it is easy via the Domain Name Services through the people who host your domain - change teh website DNS records to point to the custom domain you want to use but keep the email domain records (A records, mail etc) pointed at your existing mail service.

1 Like
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi David,

thank you for your help. 

This is still fuzzy for me. Point your dns records to the domain you want to use... Uh okay. The dns is for the domain. Makes no sense to me.

Do you mean i should change the Cname record to shopname.myshopify.com? 

Thanks I really do appreciate it.

Rick

0 Likes
Excursionist
49 0 8

EDIT: Richard has correctly pointed out that I did not read his first post correctly, and so this answer does not apple to his question.

To set up DNS and Mail, you need to have a real domain (example.com). It is impossible to have an email address "richard@wordfun.myshopify.com", because you do not own the domain myshopify.com. You can purchase a domain from Google Domains, and use G Suite to set up Google Accounts on that domain. Google Domains has built-in support for Shopify and G Suite.

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 1

With all kindness Advaith , you have completely missed every point I made. And worse, probably confused the topic by posting your reply which is completely off topic.

It was the first thing I mentioned in my post:

" We have a domain that was purchased long before we met up with Shopify. " <-- see?

I own a 'real domain; and that is exactly what I am asking about here in my thread.

thank you anyway,

Rick

ps - I am still hoping someone can clarify if it's just the CNAME record that needs to be changed to shopify & if that would still allow mail records etc to be handled by my hosting company?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
49 0 8

Oh sorry- I did not read your question correctly.

1. You need to set up a CNAME record that goes to shops.myshopify.com. If your DNS provider does not let you set up a CNAME for the root domain, then set up an A record that goes to 23.227.38.32.

2. Setting up a CNAME or A record should not disrupt or modify your mail service configuration. Just make sure you do not modify your MX records.

0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 1

Just an update since many others will search for this and have the same problem...

If your MX record is set to your domain name and you are now pointing that to your shopify store, you will never be able to get your email.

The advice posted above did not help at all because it fails to address the actual issue of domain.com now redirecting to the domain.myshopify.com

Once again, it's all muddied. Someone wrote and said "Edit your MX records" uh huh. To what exactly? My Ip address? My mail server? mail.domain.com <-- ?

This shouldn't be so complicated, imho. It's stupid.

The domain works great with shopify - have to admit that. But no matter what email is borked. 

Rick (very unimpressed with this process)

1 Like
2 0 0

I'm having the same exact issue, this shouldn't be this hard to figure out.  Where is the shopify admins when you need them?

0 Likes
2 0 0

I figured it out and my email is working again.  It is the MX record.  As soon as I changed the MX record from pointing at my domain and pointed it at my shared hosting server name, all my email came flooding in.  All is right with the world again.

Hope this helps you.

My MX record used to look like this

0 edcsupplier.com

it now looks like this

0 mysharedhostingserver.com

With in a couple of minutes of making that change, I started getting email again.

0 Likes