I'm checking if my Shopify email hosting service is actively working.

1999thelabel
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi there

I am new to Shopify and I have set up my email hosting service so all emails sent to my email addresses (e.g. info@1999thelabel.com, sales@1999thelabel.com etc..) get forwarded to my own personal icloud email address.

I carried out a test email to info@1999thelabel.com and I didn't receive anything in my personal inbox. How do I know this is actively working? Potentially I would like my own account and would not want any emails forwarded to my personal email. How do I go about this?

Thank you

Replies 5 (5)

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Hey, @1999thelabel

Tira here, from Shopify. Welcome! 

Email hosting isn’t provided by Shopify. We do provide multiple email forward email addresses with your custom domain if it is purchased from Shopify. 

If you would like to send emails from your email addresses, you will need to open an account with a third-party email hosting service, like Google Workspace or Zoho Mail. Check out the steps to connect this to your custom domain here: Connect Zoho Mail or Google Workspace email hosting to your domain.

How did you set-up email forwarding to your iCloud account? Have you tried the steps from our help doc: Setup email forwarding?

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

1999thelabel
Visitor
3 0 0
Hi Tira

Thanks for this. I understand that I need to have a third party email service.

I paid for my domain but even with the email forward addresses you provided me it doesn’t allow me to receive any emails and none are forwarded onto me.

What do I do about this please?

Thanks
Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Thanks for getting back to me. I’m glad to hear that you understand the need to use a third-party email host. 

I have a few questions to troubleshoot this together:

When you are sending a test email to your custom email address, what email are you sending it from? Are you sending it from the same email address you’re looking to receive an email, or from a different email address? 

Are you able to receive emails from Shopify and other email addresses? Has it been pass 24 hours since you’ve set-up your email forwarding addresses to your email address? It can take up to 24 hours for DNS settings to take effect. Here's a refresher on setting up your DNS settings: Editing records or DNS settings for your domain. In the MX Record for your DNS settings, you'll want to add: mx.shopify.com.cust.b.hostedemail.com. Do you have this added to your MX Record?

If you’re sending an email from the same address, for example, mystore@icloud.com to your email forwarding address, but it also forwards to mystore@icloud.com your email provider may have restrictions on that so you may not be able to receive an email. I recommend checking your spam and junk folder to see if the email landed there and reaching out to your email provider to make sure they can receive emails from forwarded addresses.

If you are using the same email address, I recommend using a different email address to send a test email to your email forwarding address and seeing if that is working. If it isn’t, please let me know and I can look into this further with you.

Talk soon,

1999thelabel
Visitor
3 0 0

Hi, 

I have set the email forwarding up correctly but no emails come through. Please could you get back to me about how to fix this please.

Thank you 

1999 The Label

Tira
Shopify Staff (Retired)
1260 90 223

Thanks for confirming, @1999thelabel. I would like to take a look at your account to see what's going on. To make it easier for you, I've sent an email to the email address listed on your Shopify Community account. Can I please get you to reply to my email? 

Once I hear from you I can explore your store and determine whether we need to send this up to our technical team. I'll be waiting for your response.

Thanks and talk soon,