Email Notifications not being received by customers

Solved
Highlighted
1 0 1

Could be SPF record issue,

but after trying to figure out why the emails got returned yesterday,

even after trying LITERALLY ALL the SPF/DNS configuration solutions they list out here in Shopify board and other sources..

..the solution was so simple:

the customer had made spelling error of the email. :)

( ~customer-email@mail.ca => ~customer-email@mail.com)

And that´s why I got the "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" -message you see in the SPF threads.

Sometimes the easiest solutions are the hardest ones to see, that´s why I think its worth mentioning here.

Lesson learned.

So if you can send email normally to anyone else than a specific customer(s),

THEN I think its worth of considering to check out first is the email they have given you correct and functional.

1 Like
Highlighted

Could be SPF record issue,

but after trying to figure out why the emails got returned yesterday,

even after trying LITERALLY ALL the SPF/DNS configuration solutions they list out here in Shopify board and other sources..

..the solution was so simple:

the customer had made spelling error of the email. :)

( ~customer-email@mail.ca => ~customer-email@mail.com)

And that´s why I got the "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender" -message you see in the SPF threads.

Sometimes the easiest solutions are the hardest ones to see, that´s why I think its worth mentioning here.

Lesson learned.

So if you can send email normally to anyone else than a specific customer(s),

THEN I think its worth of considering to check out first is the email they have given you correct and functional.

Sorry, but we are not talking about this kind of misspelling issues in this thread.

All our customers are receiving their e-mails, but they are going to Spam (Hotmail only). And this was not happening before... And is happening with Hotmail users for many Shopify and Shopify Plus stores for the last months.

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
5 0 1

Yes, this is a different issue. Every day we hear from our Hotmail/Outlook/Live customers about missing emails. Some of ours don't even make it to spam, they just never show up (and don't bounce back to us). I hope they can come up with a solution soon as this is very distressing.

0 Likes
Highlighted
I concur with Santa above, it’s specifically a Hotmail & Outlook issue. I
have at least 4 stores contacting me lately with this specific issue, and
not having any control over the outgoing messages is very frustrating, I
have no answered for them and Shopify is seemingly ignoring this issue.

Adam
Shopify Partner // Design + Development
1 Like
Highlighted
2 0 1

It's so frustrating. What's your first reaction as a customer if you don't get an order confirmation email? You think it's a scam. @Helen can we please get some assistance here? This is a major issue for a lot of people and we are being ignored by Shopify and there's nothing we can do about it. We're trying to build a legit brand here and this isn't helping at all. Please help us!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Exactly!

I have submitted a summary of all these complaints and comments to a
Shopify Partner support ticket...and I really hope I get a reply and some
help moving forward. I'll post back here with any information.

Adam
Shopify Partner // Design + Development
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I'm experiencing the same issue as well! Sending from a rogers.com email address and was getting multiple failed delivery emails. I tried switching to a gmail.com email address and am still experiencing the same issue. Hopefully you guys are able to get more information!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Exactly the same problem. All customers with microsoft based mailboxes won't receive my mails or they end up in the spam folder. Fixed the shopify SPF but did not work. We all have the same problem so it looks like a Shopify server problem.

We should all send and share our problem with the shopify support and let's hope they will try to fix it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
414 51 69

Hello Community members.

Thank you for following up on this thread to let us know of the continued issues you have been facing with your customers not receiving email notifications to their Outlook and Hotmail email accounts. 

Our Development team has been looking into the issue, and have noticed, like most of you have as well, that there has been some spam folder placement with Microsoft hosted email accounts (Hotmail, Outlook, etc). They have determined that this appears to be due to some COVID related emails being sent through the Shopify platform. Our developers are currently working diligently to address this issue, and prevent further spam from being sent. 

In the meantime, please encourage your Microsoft email recipients to check their spam or junk folders for your emails, and mark it as ”Not junk/spam”. This action of rescuing emails from the junk folder will significantly help Microsoft’s filtering algorithms learn that it is a legitimate email that should be placed in their inbox.

If the emails are not ending up in the spam folder, it’s possible that it may be caught in a temporary processing delay, or have been deleted by Microsoft if the message is more than 10 days old. 

For emails that are bouncing back, the Shopify system will try to resend the email notification when it is deferred, however in the event of multiple failed attempts, you will receive the email warning “Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender”.  When this occurs, please wait at least 2.5 hours before resending the notification.

Moving forward, our Development Team is working closely with Microsoft to provide a solution for the emails being labelled as spam/junk, as well as those that are being delayed and deferred. 

That being said, since some of the steps required to rectify these issues are a manual process, I am unable to provide a time expectancy on when this problem will be resolved. However, I will post an update here as more information becomes available to me.

We apologize for the inconvenience and misunderstanding this may be causing. Thank you for your patience as our teams work as quickly as they can towards a solution. 

Sincerely,

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

3 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Helen,

I am having the same problem and can confirm the customer has checked their spam inbox.

I have gone to my third party domain and have added 'v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com ~all'

My question is what do you add to the '@' part under name?

0 Likes