Email Notifications not being received by customers

Solved
Highlighted
1 0 0

Further to the above, over the last few days we have had the same issue.  After working perfectly for months customers are not getting notification emails.  This is proving very difficult for us as we are very, very busy and it is not great for customers.

Shopify, could you provide an update please?

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

We have had this issue even before COVID. So I can confirm that it is not caused by COVID... maybe it got worse during it, but not exclusive of COVID hitting.

Also, the problem is not only emails going to spam boxes... there have been many bounced emails as well.

The problem is mainly on Hotmail and Outlook accounts.

I have contacted Shopify support many times about this and having them direct me to reach out to Google or other apps. None of that resulted in a total fix.

I am convinced that it is on Shopify´s end.

This issue has caused a lot of headache for customers that purchase or are reaching out. As well as a big financial loss due to abandoned carts that are not reaching the customers. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
419 52 70

This is an accepted solution.

**UPDATE** - Issue Resolved

Thank you all for your continued patience as our teams worked towards a solution for this. I am happy to report that it has now been resolved! Our Development team worked closely with Microsoft to remove the Shopify sending IPs from their low reputation lists, which was causing the delay and blocking of emails. 

For further context about the issue at hand, please find more information about the global increase of email abuse related to COVID in this article on SpamHaus.

For any ongoing occurrences regarding this, please reach out to support directly. Thanks again for your cooperation and patience.

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted

This is great news @Helen thank you so much for your work to get this resolved!

Shopify Partner // Design + Development
1 Like
Highlighted

Thanks @Helen, great news!

As I thought, it was related to Hotmail/Outlook flagging some of Shopify IPs... So we will keep monitoring the issue and report back if needed, just in case it start happening again :)

1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

@Helen We are having the same issue but with Cogeco emails. They are bouncing back to us.

Cogeco informs us that those client's IP's have been blacklisted by Shopify. Is there a way to fix this? We have had sooo many customers not receive their notifications.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
419 52 70

Hey, @Sipkens

Welcome to the Community! I’m happy to look further into this for you. 

As a first step towards troubleshooting it, could you please let me know if the email address you have set as the Customer Email in ‘Settings > General’ is associated with a custom domain? 

If so, have you already added Shopify’s SPF record to your domain's DNS settings? There are more details about adding the SPF Record within my previous posts in this thread on 12-02-2019 and 12-11-2019 that you can reference, if needed. 

Let me know, and we’ll go from there. 

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi @Helen,

I added the SPF record according to the tutorial a few days ago in the hopes that notifications are finally being delivered without any issues. I checked the SPF records and everything should be fine, but today I noticed that emails to hotmail.com and t-online.de are still returning an error.

The Customer Email is set correctly under ‘Settings > General’

Is there anything else I should try to fix this issue?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
419 52 70

Hi, @Simon502

Thanks for checking in about this. Any changes to your domain DNS settings can sometimes take up to 72 hours to take effect. Has it been at least that long already? 

If it has been longer than that and your customers emails are still being bounced back, please let me know and provide a screenshot of your domain’s SPF Record so that we can begin by double checking if it needs any minor adjustments to get it working properly.

Thanks,

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

Hi @Helen,

it has been more than 72 hours for sure. I contacted Deutsche Telekom regarding the delivery issues with t-online.de domains and their postmaster contact tosa@rx.t-online.de confirmed that your IP addresses have been blacklisted. They assured me that they will take a look into this. Maybe you can also contact them so that the issue is being resolved?

The SPF record is set as follows: v=spf1 include:spf.privateemail.com include:shops.shopify.com ~all

See the screenshot, which cuts off some of the text. I include privateemail.com because I use the email service from Namecheap.com

domain.JPG

0 Likes