Email Notifications not being received by customers

Solved
1 0 1

Hello,

To everyone having issues with emails being sent from Shopify to your customers who are not receiving them make sure to complain to Shopify when you find their SMTP servers are blacklisted.

Do you want to know how?

Easy, once you receive an email from your Shopify store to an email address that is actually more lenient regarding blacklisted SMTP servers you can simply view the FULL email header and look for the SMTP server that sent the message to you, in most cases it will be smtp#.shopify.com.

Then go to my favorite website for checking blacklists, mxtoolbox.com and use the BLACKLIST CHECK tool for the SMTP server you wish to check for problems such as smtp5.shopify.com or the like.

Here are some direct links that illustrate checking to see if some of their SMTP servers are blacklisted.

SMTP3 on SORBS blacklist as of 10/14/2020
https://mxtoolbox.com/SuperTool.aspx?action=blacklist%3asmtp3.shopify.com&run=toolpage

Don't let support tell you it is because of the recipients email acceptance policies. Your customers aren't receiving the emails because some of their sending SMTP servers have been blacklisted.

Hopefully some higher level of support reads, understands, and cares to resolve their blacklist issues.

I would also like to add that Shopify should offer the option on their back-end to change which of their SMTP servers your Shopify account uses to send outbound emails from to avoid this blacklist nightmare for which you have no direct control over or to allow use of 3rd party SMTP relay services such as @mailgun, SendGrid, etc...

Good Luck!

1 0 0

Has this been resolved? I am experiencing the same issue with customers not receiving emails from shopify when previously they had received emails before the latest shopify update. 

0 Likes
1 0 0

We are having the same issue, specifically with Outlook users.

0 Likes
1 0 0

I'm having the exact same issue! SPF records are set as recommended and Outlook customers are not receiving my emails!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
790 76 124

Hello again Community members.

I’m sorry to hear some of you are still experiencing ongoing trouble with your customer email deliveries. But, thank you for letting us know!

Issues like these can flare up from time to time; That’s the nature of email deliveries. However, we’ve tracked down a transient issue, and it has now been fixed!

If you are still seeing issues though, please reach out to live support so that a support ticket can be escalated, and we can investigate it further on a case by case basis.

Thank you!

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

Shopify Expert
157 0 31

hi @Helen several of my clients are still having issues with this - usually on Microsoft / Outlook email clients. Any ideas on what to do? My clients are trying to send out gift cards, but lots of customers are not getting them and it feels unprofessional and annoying to have to go through all this back and forth with their customers when it should just be as simple as allowing for DKIM?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
790 76 124

Hi, @HandHugs. Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry to hear your clients are still dealing with this issue; I completely understand why it is of concern!

As mentioned in my post above on 11-22-2020, if the most recent fix hasn’t resolved your client’s email notification issues, then please have them contact support so that we can open a ticket and our Tech team can look into the issue on each of their store’s individually. This will be the quickest way to go about it.

Are you wanting to assist them with this? Are you a Shopify Partner? I may be able to help you proceed with the escalations. We will need to properly authenticate you for your Partner account, and each of the stores having the issues (ie. you’ll need to have a collaborator or staff account set up on each store). So if this is possible, let me know and we can get started!

0 Likes
Shopify Expert
157 0 31

@Helen yes i am a Shopify Expert - I have one client in particular who is struggling with it at the moment. Please help me proceed as you offered.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
790 76 124

Absolutely, @HandHugs. I’m happy to! I will be sending you an email shortly requesting authentication information so that we can get started on this. Please keep an eye out for it, and I’ll watch for your reply there.

0 Likes