Email Notifications not being received by customers

Highlighted
3 0 0

Just recently some off our customers are not receiving order confirmation emails from our website.  I have asked them to check their junk mail box and there are also not there, any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
240 30 39

Hey, @Chrisk6

I’m Helen from Shopify Support. Thanks for your question and for confirming that you have had your customers check their spam folders for your notification emails. 

Have you recently changed the email address that is set as the customer email in ‘Settings > General’?

This email address needs to be a valid email address with hosting that supports sending out emails. Additionally, email addresses from hosts such as Yahoo or AOL use the DKIM specification which is not supported by Shopify. Addresses with Gmail or Hotmail are supported.

Custom domain email addresses are supported as well. To ensure notification delivery or these types of addresses, please add Shopify’s spf record to your domain’s DNS settings by creating a TXT record with the value: v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com ~all.

For third party domains, please make this edit from within your domain host account. For Shopify hosted domains, the DNS settings are found here. The record should be set up like this:

02-02-qc2r9-1vb81

Let me know if this helps!

Helen | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I can verify from within dmarcian that when I added include:shops.shopify.com to my existing spf record, all messages are passing spf and are dmarc aligned. It takes 1-2 days to propagate, but it does indeed work.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
240 30 39

Hey, @twigandolive

Thank you for verifying that this has worked for you. I appreciate the feedback.

You brought up a good point for domains that already contain an SPF records that I would like to address to others experiencing this issue. In this case, the records can be combined into a single one by using this TXT value: v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com include:otherdomain.com ~all.

Additionally, for anyone using GSuite to host their email, if you are also using a TXT record to verify ownership of your domain, please use this TXT value instead: v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com include:_spf.google.com ~all.

All the best,

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Thank you so much!  To clarify, should that be the ONLY TXT record? (for a custom domain purchased/hosted/managed through shopify?)

When I found the DNS settings (on the shopify admin pages), there was already one TXT record listed:

name: provider_    TXT value: shopify

Should I delete that one, or have them both? (and if both, does the ordering matter?)

Also, I'm using an email address hosted in gsuite, so I added just one new TXT record - the v=spf1 include:shops.shopify.com include:_spf.google.com ~all 

Please let me know if that should be correct.

Thank you again very much!  One suggestion - update the main shopify help page with the screenshot and this more accurate information, as it's quite hard to find searching the forums (https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/intro-to-shopify/initial-setup/setup-your-email)

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
240 30 39

Hi, @emilyg!

You’re very welcome, and thank you for the feedback! I will pass it along.

Your DNS settings sound correct. Each domain can only have one SPF entry, therefore you can leave the other TXT record that already exists because it is not an SPF entry. And since you are using GSuite to host your email for your custom domain, the SPF record you have added, is correct too!

If you have any further questions or comments, please let me know.

1 Like
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Helen

i have the same issue and after reading all post i did the record TX.

I read need 1-2 days before it will works isn't it?

Need i to do some other check?

Br

Alex

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
240 30 39

Hey, @Tittagral

That is correct. It can take up to 48 hours for any changes to your domain settings to take effect. 

It looks like it has been over that amount of time for you. Therefore, have you received any feedback from your customers as to if they have been receiving your notifications now?

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi @elen ,

today i tested email with a fake order i did and the message receive is:

This is the mail system at host smtp.shopify.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<customercare@tabbid.com>: host mail.tabbid.com[5.196.134.82] said: 554 5.7.0
    Reject, id=27861-15 - spam (in reply to end of DATA command)
Reporting-MTA: dns; smtp.shopify.com
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 3E3061C2965
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; customercare@tabbid.com
Arrival-Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 19:39:15 +0000 (UTC)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; customercare@tabbid.com
Original-Recipient: rfc822;customercare@tabbid.com
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mail.tabbid.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.0 Reject, id=27861-15 - spam

My Setup is the same you described.
What can i check also?
Thanks
Tittagral
0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0