Emails in my customers list

5 0 0
Hello,

I am wondering why there are emails inmy customer's list but didnt buy anything? Also, there's a category for email subscribers but most of them are not included in the email subscibers or customers accepts email newsletters. There are no abandoned carts as well.. Only one including my cart test. I am confused..
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
139 10 23

Hi, @shan32

My name is Rae and I work for Shopify. Thank you for reaching out with this question, and welcome to the Shopify Community! 

New customers and their email addresses may show up in the 'Customers' section of your Shopify admin for a few different reasons. 

One possibility is that these customers may have entered their emails on the password page of your site when it was under construction. This option is in place to collect potential customer's email addresses so that once businesses launch, they can send out a newsletter to let interested individuals know that their business is open. While Shopify doesn't have a built-in way to send this newsletter, there are many apps that can help with this. 

Do you have customer accounts enabled on your site? If so, the individuals whose email addresses are showing up in your admin may have created an account on your site, even though they haven't purchased anything. To find out if this is the case, please click into the 'Customers' section in your Shopify admin, and select a customer's name. At the top of this page, do you see a button that says 'Send account invite'? If you can't see this button, this means that this customer has already created an account on your site, and this is why their email address is showing under the 'Customers' section. Customers who have created accounts this way may have opted out of email marketing, which is why they aren't displayed under the 'Customer accepts marketing' filter. 

Another reason that these emails may be showing up in your admin, is if you have a newsletter sign up option somewhere on your site. Many websites have this in the footer on their homepage, so this may be where it's showing up on your site. If a customer enters in their email address here, they will be added to the 'Customers' section of your Shopify admin even if they haven't made a purchase or used your checkout. However, customers that have subscribed this way will show up the in 'Email subscribers' section of the 'Customers' page, so this potential reason would only apply to customers who are displayed under that filter. So that I can double check if you have this newsletter feature, can you please share your website's URL with me here? 

This information should help determine where those extra customers and email address came from, but if you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know! 

Rae | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

1 Like
5 0 0

Hello @Rae 

Thanks for for your reply and for answering my question. Yes, I have enabled my my newsletter sigup in my homepage but it will filter out in the "Email Subscribers" section. I actually tested it out myself. Here's my site https://www.jmakshop.com

0 Likes
Highlighted
5 0 0

And yes, I can see the  "Send Account Invite". There is also an option in the checkout page where customer have an option to create an account or as quest. See attached file. screen.jpg

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
139 10 23

Hi, @shan32

Thank you for getting back to me with these details. 

I pulled up your site to take a look around, and it looks like you do have the account creation option, and also the email newsletter sign up feature on your homepage. With this in mind, customers who have created an account on your site but haven't made a purchase will show up in 'Customers', but not 'Email Subscribers' in your admin. However, customers who use the newsletter sign up to add their email will show up in 'Customers' and also in 'Email Subscribers'.

Other customers likely would have entered in their email on your password page when your site was under construction, and this is how they showed up in the 'Customers' section of your admin. 

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns about this and I'll be glad to help further. 

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
139 10 23

Hi, @shan32

Thanks for your reply. I've moved your message as it contained some private, sensitive information. 

Thanks for replying back. Anyways, If these customers created an account, why only shows their email address without there names included when signing up? They should have created a password too if that's the case. How come they will enter their email in my password page if almost everyday there customers appeared without buying anything? 

However, I would be happy to help work on this further to track down where these customers are appearing from.

Are you using any apps in your admin that have access to customer data? If so, can you please share the names of the some of the apps you're using?

Equally, I know you mentioned previously that you didn't have any abandoned checkouts in your admin. Since then, have you noticed any new abandoned checkout appear that correlate to these customer names and email addresses? 

If you would prefer that we discuss this private, please let me know and I can reach out to you via email instead. 

Thanks! 

0 Likes
5 0 0

screen3.jpgscreen4.jpg

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
139 10 23

Thanks for these extra details, @shan32

Did you previously have any pop up apps installed on your site? If so, most of these apps will collect email addresses when they pop up, and so some of these customers in your admin now may have also come from this type of app, if you have used one in the past. 

I do also want to clarify that when customers sign up for updates on the password page, or when they sign up for newsletters, they are just entering their email addresses, but not their names. For customers in your admin that are listed with just their email addresses, this is likely how they signed up. For customers who are listed with their names, they would have signed up by creating an account on your site, or by placing an order and using the checkout on your store. 

I do notice that you're using several email marketing apps like Omnisend and Seguno. Are you currently using email marketing to drive customers to your site? If not, having these customers in your admin already, and using these apps, presents a great opportunity to get in touch with these customers to further promote your site, or even advertise any upcoming sales that you might have planned. For more information on email marketing, please check out this blog

Best, 

0 Likes