Encounter 'A store with that domain name already exists' errors.

Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi all, as per subject.

Appreciate your help. Any Shopify staff able to assist on this ? much appreciated.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
804 41 123

Hey, @byskillbytalent!

You would have a .com domain to start with, every Shopify store has a .myshopify.com URL. Once you choose a store name, that becomes your URL, so for example - yourstore.myshopify.com. You can purchase a custom domain at a later stage to hide the .myshopify part of the URL, this is quite common. Once you add in your custom domain (for example yourstore.com), the custom domain will be all that the customer sees!

If your trying to create a store under a certain name, that name may already have been claimed by another merchant in the past. In this case, you'll need to select a different store name. FOr example, if you wanted to use something like FootballFriday.myshopify.com as a store name but it's already been claimed, you can instead use a variation like Football-Friday, FootballFriday1 or FootballFridayShop! The URL you choose to start your store can really be viewed as a placeholder until you get your custom domain, so it can be anything you like.

There is more information here on buying a domain through Shopify or if you buy from a 3rd party provider (like GoDaddy), you can add that domain to the admin section. Once you add in your custom domain (for example yourstore.com), the custom domain will be all that the customer sees.

Let me know what you think!

Ava
Social Care | help.shopify.com

Ava | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Ava

Thanks for your reply. I have purchased a domain from a third party, but when i tried to connect existing domain in Shopify, i encounter the error 'a store with that domain name already exists '.

Appreciate your assistance on this.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
804 41 123

Oh, that is strange! A domain can usually only be claimed by one person/store. So if the domain was ok for you to buy, then it should be fine to connect to the admin. Could you walk me through the steps you are taking to connect the domain?

Also, could you link the domain URL here so I can check it out? I'd like to check if this is a domain that used to be claimed by another store in the past, but it was not renewed again. If another store used to own that domain but did not renew it once it was due to expire, it would then free up to domain to be bought again in the future. However, it might be an issue if the domain was not disconnected properly from the older store, it may still be linked internally which will make it difficult for you to link it to your admin now that you own it! This is a possibility, so I'd like to check out the link for you now.

Speak soon!

Ava

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Ava, i just went to Shopify home page > Online Store > Domains > connect existing domain > proceed to add 'bensgreatsdeals.com'. and there is where the error encounters.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
804 41 123

Thanks so much for that! 

It looks like you are adding it the correct way. Can I ask is the domain is bensgreatsdeals.com or bensgreatdeals.com, as there is an extra 's' at the end of 'great' in that URL?  I've tried to connect bensgreatsdeals.com in my own test store and it seems to be letting my buy it as a new domain:

22-46-fhc93-k7vmc

This leads me to believe the domain you're trying to connect is bensgreatdeals.com, which may be linked to a closed store somewhere on our system. I can find this for you and unlink it, which will allow you to then link it to your admin! I've reached out to the email address linked to your Community Forums account here, would you be able to reply to that email? If you can, I'll be able to authenticate you as the account owner and the domain owner so I can help you here. You should see my email in your inbox under ticket #20311626. If you can reply to that email, we can get started!

Speak soon!

Ava

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Hi Ava

i have reply accordingly to the email. thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
804 41 123

Hey, @byskillbytalent!

Just following up, I've not received any reply to ticket 20311626 yet. Would you like me to send another email for you to reply to?

Let me know what works for you! 

Ava

0 Likes