Error Message: Checkout session is gone

oekohofkiste
Tourist
7 0 3

Hello,
at least 10 of my customers emailed me that they received an error message when trying to checkout and that they cannot continue with the checkout even after reloading the page multiple times.

The error message:
"Something went wrong.
What happened?
Checkout session is gone: Checkout session is gone"

Does anyone know why this is and how to fix it?

I have seen that someone has asked about this problem before and someone wrote that the problem could be due to PayPal.
However, I do not use PayPal in my shop. So the problem must be elsewhere.

Replies 54 (54)

tobiashoeflich
Visitor
3 0 0

We've got the same problem! Help would be greatly appreciated...

DanielleLayne3
Visitor
1 0 1

us too!!! Someone please help asap

oekohofkiste
Tourist
7 0 3

Perhaps a specific app is causing the problem. We use the following apps. Do you also use one of them ?:
Fontify - Customize Fonts
Free Shipping Bar
GDPR Legal Cookie
Order picklist
Order Printer Pro
Product warnings on checkout
Quick announcement bar
Reorder Master - Repeat Orders
Shipping Restriction-ZIP Code
SmartrMail - Email Marketing
Sufio - Automatic Invoices
UFE Cross Sell & Upsell Bundle
Vela

tobiashoeflich
Visitor
3 0 0

Possible!
The Plugins we share are:

GDPR Legal Cookie
Order Printer Pro

I did some checking and for us it seems that we can not reach the checkout process only when we are signed in as admins. If you open a session (logged out as admin) all works fine.... (checked with Safari + Google Chrome on multiple devices)

oekohofkiste
Tourist
7 0 3

So do you mean that the error only occurs if you are logged in with your customer account beforehand? Or what exactly do you mean by "Admin" account? Because the error also occurs with several of our customers.

MrNic_4000
Visitor
1 0 0

Same here! 

Also using the GDPR Plugin.

I get it logged in/logged out and across browsers.

SHOPIFY please help!

tobiashoeflich
Visitor
3 0 0

For us, the error only occurs when viewing the site while being logged in as a store admin (so my normal account to manage the Shopify store). If I pretend to be a customer (who obviously is not logged in as a shopify admin, but browses the page without having logged in) I can reach the checkout page no problem. Have you been able to replicate the problem your customers describe, while signed out of your shopify account? I tried it with a completely different device and in incognito mode in order to pretend it's my first time on the page 😉

oekohofkiste
Tourist
7 0 3

Our costumers were able to reach the checkout page after they emptied their browser-cache.

PB79
Pathfinder
120 2 40

Any news on this? We got the same bug in our store. Also using the cooky app.

minc
Shopify Partner
63 0 9

Same here!

Also using the GDPR Plugin.

minc
Shopify Partner
63 0 9

Hi,

I tried to clear browser cache and deleted all cookies without success.

Finally it helped to change cookies consent to "only essential" and back to "accept all" to get a working checkout in my local browser.

mrbobby93
Excursionist
37 0 14

I sent today the GDPR Legal Cookie a message and asked for help

PB79
Pathfinder
120 2 40

The app support team told me the app is not the problem because it wouldnt interact with the checkout cookie in any way. Im clueless.

Deleting the cache helped with some customers.

mrbobby93
Excursionist
37 0 14

which theme is everybody using?

I am using Impulse.

I still have no solution. also the shopify support can't help.

the theme support also don't now the error.

MrFred
Visitor
2 0 2

We have the same issue. Using the Debut theme.

We also had the GDPR Legal Cookie App installed. I uninstalled the app, but it didn't help.

The error is kind of hard to reproduce, but tit seems that it mainly appears on mobile (especially smartphone), and if you have items in your cart and leave them there for more than 24 hours without checking out and then come back and try to checkout.

Shopify support suggested to delete my cache and cookies, but how does that help our customers

Checkout session is gone 2021-04-25 19-17-50.jpg😞

Dika
Visitor
2 0 1

We have got the same problem and still no help. Tried put everything. It appears mostly when they came from instagram to our shop directly and try to reach the checkout.

JurjanG
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi,

We had the same issue and also used the GDPR cookie app from BeeClever.

We just disabled that and waited a couple of minutes and cleared cache and cookies (or used an incognito browser) and then it worked again. We have had a similar issue before, I think it happened when BeeClever made an update. 

Hope disabling works for you as well, we just wrote BeeClever, maybe it makes sense if more do this?

MrFred
Visitor
2 0 2

Same here, i completely removed the app and all code snippets and cleared cache and cookies and then it worked again.

Also, conversion rate and order volume went back to normal since then.

Trying to get in touch with BeeClever to find out if they made an update at that point in time, or maybe even Shopify made an update that doesn't work with the app anymore.

mrbobby93
Excursionist
37 0 14

Hi,

where can I finde the code snippets?
I will also delete the app

Sandor
Excursionist
17 2 0

Hello,

the problem has nothing to do with the app GDPR Legal Cookie. The checkout cookie is an HttpOnly cookie and can only be set and or changed on the server side.

The error occurs when the said cookie is already in use, since the cookie can't be affected externally, the problem can only come from Shopify server side.

As already written by MrFred on page 2, the error occurs even without the app....

mrbobby93
Excursionist
37 0 14

We should spam shopify to resolve the problem.

Sandor
Excursionist
17 2 0

This is not a solution either...we will contact Shopify on a technical level and bring the problem to their attention.

mrbobby93
Excursionist
37 0 14

already contacted the shopify support.
they didn't care and just referred me to the theme maker.

oekohofkiste
Tourist
7 0 3

I think neither the theme is causing the issues (we're using debut) nor the redirection from instagram to the shop (we don't use instagram). 

But it must have something to do with BeeClever. The coincidence that we all use the same cookie tool would be too big in my opinion. We tried to contact BeeClever's support 6 days ago, but have not yet received a response. The Shopify Support also didn't respond. 

We also noticed that the problem only occured a few weeks ago (before that everything worked fine) ... Maybe it's really due to an update from BeeClever or Shopify ?! 😕

minc
Shopify Partner
63 0 9

I just had the Error in my own Browser again... although I don't know how to trigger it.

Anyhow: again: by changing cookie settings to "only essential" and back to "accept all" fixed the issue in that browser session.

Maybe someone can confirm that this fixes the session?!

lauralovesEcom
Visitor
2 0 0

I was wondering: Are you guys shopify plus? We are plus customers and it seems that we don't face this problem....

@minc Did your problem occur before the 14th of April or onnly after? As I said, I think it has something to do with customers, which went to your shop on the 14th of April...maybe in combination with the gdpr banner. 

What is the name of the URL, when you get this error?

minc
Shopify Partner
63 0 9

@lauralovesEcom

non plus

first time a customer came up with this error message: last week
first time seen in my browser: mid last week
second time in my browser: today

Both times I was logged in as admin in the same browser and could fix it like mentioned.

URL: will check next time I see it

GDPRteam
Tourist
10 0 3

Hello, 

i am Matteo from the gdpr legal cookie team. 
We investigated the problem you all have with the checkout session. On 14. of April shopify changed something in the checkout and all sessions from this day are the reason for this problem. It has nothing to do with the cookie App. For more Informations we will inform all customers in the next days. It helps, when cache will deleted for having a new session. 

Regards 

Matteo - Team Support 

minc
Shopify Partner
63 0 9

Hi Matteo from @GDPRteam

thanks for your comment.

Could you explain a little bit more how to come to this conclusion?

How do you explain that I've seen the same error twice in the same browser? The first glitch could have been a session from 14/4 but what about the second?

cheers

GDPRteam
Tourist
10 0 3

Good Morning, 

We would like to take a stand here once again.

We have investigated this problem in several stores, including stores that do not use our app. We found the error there as well. This alone suggests that our app is not responsible.

In addition, we can trace the error back to an outage on the part of Shopify on April 14, which invalidates some sessions in the EMEA area. These sessions are valid for different lengths of time and as long as this session is valid, there will be an error in the cart and around checkout.

Another reason why our app cannot be responsible is the fact that we have no influence on which sessions are set. In the app, only known cookies can be defined as essential. If known cookies change, our software can only do one thing, block them.

We recommend deleting the cache, the support at support@gdpr-legal-cookie.com can help, but unfortunately we have an increased traffic there, because many new customers want to use the app.

Dika
Visitor
2 0 1
Hey Matteo, since we deleted your app, the problem doesnt exist anymore. we already installed another cookie app and no problem occurs.
GDPRteam
Tourist
10 0 3

Hi, 

he reason is that your new banner does nothing but be a banner, but then it is nothing legally compliant and if it does block cookies, it is only because it does not know the sessins of April 14.

JurjanG
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi GDPR team,

Thanks a lot for the reply and explanation. We do indeed like the way the GDPR app functions. 

However, how would you explain that almost all in this thread make use of your app and that in multiple cases, including in ours, the problem was solved as soon as we disabled the GDPR app? In our cases, we even tried deleting the cookies and cache but this didn't work, this only worked when we disabled the GDPR app. We have had a similar issue in the summer of 2020, where our conversion rate dropped significantly and again it was solved when disabling the GDPR app. Can you share your view on this?

Also, is there a reason it is so hard to reach someone at BeeClever? It would be really helpful if we could talk to someone from your company when we suspect such an issue is going on. 

Thanks in advance for your help.
GDPRteam
Tourist
10 0 3

Hi JuranG

Thank you very much for your message.

Currently we have an increased support workload due to many new installations and the topic discussed here. Please send all inquiries to support@gdpr-legal-cookie.com. We are working through everything, we ask for your patience.

To understand why the error does not appear when you delete the app, you need to understand how the app works. Our app is currently one of the few cookie banners that does exactly what a consent tool is supposed to do, namely block cookies. There are some apps in the AppStore, but they only display a banner and nothing else. But it is the requirement according to DSGVO / GDPR that you need a mandatory consent when cookies are used.

If the customer does not give consent, which according to our anonymous statistics is about 30% of users, then only essential cookies may be set, otherwise important features will not work. We have defined all essential cookies on the part of shopify, but if faulty sessions are now set, the cookie app does not know them and blocks them. If you uninstall or turn off the app, then it is clear that it works.

As already explained: Due to a problem at Shopify on April 14, this only affects the sessions of that day and only in some stores. We assume that these sessions are valid for max 30 days, after which this problem will no longer occur.

regards

team GDPR Legal Cookie

JurjanG
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi GDPR team,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply and more elaborate response. 

If we would still like to use your app, what is the best way to solve this? Should we reset it / ask the customer support to delete the cache for us? 

Thanks again.

GDPRteam
Tourist
10 0 3

Hi Jurjan,

in principle Shopify Support can't do anything, the problem is on the computers of the customers who were in the store on April 14. We believe that the session will expire on May 14, then the problem will be solved. All other sessions are not affected.

Greetings

Marco

JurjanG
Tourist
4 0 1

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your message. I actually meant your support: In a previous message you wrote you recommend deleting the cache and that support@gdpr-legal-cookie.com can help with that.

Did I misunderstand this?

Thanks,

GDPRteam
Tourist
10 0 3

We can have a look into the shop. No prob. Please send a request to support 

minc
Shopify Partner
63 0 9

Hi All,

finally I got an answer from shopify support. The funny thing is that they advice to deactivate the GDPR-APP. Here is the quote in german:

Sie haben darum gebeten, zu versuchen, die App-DSGVO-Legal Cookies zu deaktivieren und dann erneut zu aktivieren, um die Cookie-Blockierungen zu aktualisieren. Wenn dies das Problem deiner Kunden nicht löst, bitten wir dich, Screenshots zu senden, die zeigen, dass du diesen Schritt zur Fehlerbehebung durchgeführt hast. Wir müssen dies an unser Technical Merchant Support-Team weiterleiten, damit sie dies auf ihrer Seite weiter untersuchen können.

Also funny: they want me to proof the deactivation with a screenshot. Never seen such a skeptic support 🙂

So now we have the situation that @GDPRteam blames Shopify and Shopify suspects the GDPR-APP!

We should all contact Shopify to get more attention to this problem. Please open Tickets and send them screenshoots.

We all work day and night to maximize conversion rate, spend 1000 of dollars on adds and other channels, to end up with a bug in checkout that destroys 5 % of conversions (5% is my guess from the number of customers contacting us daily compared to daily order numbers).

GDPRteam
Tourist
10 0 3

Hi, 

i can understand you completely. 

We can fully understand the anger, but unlike shopify, we can prove that we are not to blame here. Our app does its job cleanly and the error on the 14th is absolutely verifiable.

Incidentally, support has helped the customer elsewhere. I'll have documentation uploaded here that may go into more detail.

mrbobby93
Excursionist
37 0 14

Ich habe den SHopify Support schon zwei mal kontaktiert.
Die schieben die Verantwortung auch zurück.

Es ist wirklich ekelhaft.

Bin im Zwiespalt, App löschen und eine Abmahnung kassieren oder Comversion Rate verschlechtern?

GDPRteam
Tourist
10 0 3

Hi Mr Bobby, 

bitte sende eine Mail an uns, beziehe Dich bitte hier auf Deinen Benutzernamen, ich kümmere mich nun selber darum.

Grüße

minc
Shopify Partner
63 0 9

@mrbobby93 wrote:

Ich habe den SHopify Support schon zwei mal kontaktiert.
Die schieben die Verantwortung auch zurück.

Es ist wirklich ekelhaft.

Bin im Zwiespalt, App löschen und eine Abmahnung kassieren oder Comversion Rate verschlechtern?

Shopify should provide a native solution to be GDPR compliant. As a multi billion dollar company acting in EU market with a German CEO it's a shame that they don't come up with a core-implemented solution.

@mrbobby93 I also think about a "Banner-only" solution, and in the long I'll probably migrate to another platform. Shopify seems to be made for low volume or non selling shops....

GDPRteam
Tourist
10 0 3

Hi, 

as i promised, a more detailed description concerning all this.

Here is the link

Hope that helps to clear all questions and that we are not the problem. 

Regards

Team GDPR LEGA COOKIE

minc
Shopify Partner
63 0 9

Yesterday my ticked made it to 2nd-level support and I was happy for a moment.

Today, second level sent me a video showing that they managed to place an order. With that they "prove" that the checkout is working!?!?

So we have this 3-5% error and this guy sends a video from ONE successful checkout? -> that is support on a  very high level - NOT

GDPRteam
Tourist
10 0 3

The shopify support? so they do not understand what the problem is. 

I am in contact now with one of the supervisors of the shopify support.....

minc
Shopify Partner
63 0 9

@GDPRteam wrote:

The shopify support? so they do not understand what the problem is. 

I am in contact now with one of the supervisors of the shopify support.....

Yes Shopify support!

mrbobby93
Excursionist
37 0 14

I am currently looking for a Shopify alternative.
The constant problems with SHopify get on my nerves.
The support is also not good.

mrbobby93
Excursionist
37 0 14

Hi,

some of my customers have also the same problem.

I also have the GDPR Legal Cookie App.

What I noticed was that the customers came to our shop through Instagram links and then received the error message on their way to the checkout.

Does anyone have a solution for the problem