Thanks.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
798 94 134

Hi, @thesotman,

Hank here from Shopify.

That message normally appears when there is an outstanding charge due to an invoice already having been issued. But normally when the invoice is related to non Shopify charges, like a third-party app, or tax, transaction fees or shipping charges.

Do you see something similar within your admin when you go to Settings > Billing? You should be able to view the details of the invoice.

I will also share how to close your store within your admin by yourself if you are able to clear the invoice. 

Let me know if this is is similar, or if you have any further questions, I may be able to look into this for you.

All the best,

Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hey Hank,

Facing the same issue. I didn't make any sales. Even didn't do anything on the account.

I'm trying to close my account but it shows the error - Invoice payment failed.

Can you please reach out to me via email to help in this?

Appreciate your help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
798 94 134

Hi, @stylebearclub thanks for reaching out!

It sounds like an invoice has been generated for you during your billing period. Once this has been done, you will not be able to close your store unless the balance is paid.

This is where you have multiple options, you can pay your outstanding invoice, close your store, then see if a refund is possible by contacting Shopify support.

The other option would be that after three failed attempts, the store will go into a frozen state, and will eventually close. Then, should you wish to reopen this store, you would pay any outstanding balance, and the store will be reopened once you select a new payment plan.

Let me know if you have any further questions, or require assistance!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hello, Hank. I am also having the same issue with closing my store. Could you please reach out to provide assistance

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
798 94 134

Thank you for reaching out, @JohnB51

Can you confirm my suggestions above? Are you being prompted to make a payment before closing as the store has generated an invoice for you?

When is your billing date within Settings > Billing

Depending on the timeline, it may be a case of making the payment, closing your store, and then we can see if a refund is eligible. Or if the payment is declined three times, your store will naturally go into a frozen state.

Let me know, and I'll assist further.

0 Likes