European stores at risk of closure with Shopify

Highlighted
Excursionist
15 0 14

Hi European Shopify Store owners.

All European Shopify Store owners may be forced to close, because Shopify do not comply with European ECommerce law.

The problem have been presented to Shopify several times in 2012 and again in 2013.

Shopify have not taken steps to protect their European stores against the very real treat of being forced to close by European law.

There are 2 main issues to address:

1: To have a check box where the customer active accept terms and conditions. ( This can be done by a workaround javascript in the chart page )

2: To have a summery of the customers entered data on the payment page and the possibility for the customer to go 1 step back and Edit the entered information.

Besides other important information, these are both required by law.

There have been several European store owners where government law suit have forced ecommerce store owners to implement this or forced to close.

Today our Shopify store are at severe risk of being met by a law suit and the government have sent us a warning to comply with step 2.

We are very desperate and get no help from Shopify to solve the issue.

We urge European store owners to help putting pressure on Shopify to come up with a solution.

Link to EU regulations:
http://ecommerce.shopify.com/c/payments-shipping-fulfilment/t/summary-of-the-clients-information-is-...

Best Regards,

jan Hanson

Time Solution

Vinduespudsning.com

9 Likes
7 0 0

Why has noone replied to this? Shopify? Sounds very serious. 

www.deadstock.co.nz Online Streetwear
0 Likes
Tourist
90 0 2

I have heard a similar story from someone in Denmark as well. To add a confirmation page in the checkout flow will not take Shopify much time to do.

Creator of the metafields editor application. http://apps.shopify.com/metafields-editor
0 Likes
Tourist
4 0 1

Agree. This is a priority issue and must be solved asap by Shopify

Authorized retailer of international watch brands. Visit the shop @ http://www.fairtime.dk
1 Like
Tourist
8 0 2

I have heard this before. Europe have a lot rules on this front, Shopify should do something to help! As said above - This is a priority issue!

Best Regards Anders Berendt Founder and owner of Abbe Polyhagen
0 Likes
Excursionist
15 0 14

Hi All,

So happy to hear from you all.

We are truly at risk of being closed down here and Shopify have not been able to put this in the to-do box.

We LOVE Shopify with 4 stores since 2007, and the amount of work to move to another platform is just to silly with this little change.

All we ask is for the customer to see their enterd information on the payment page and a edit buttom to make changes.

I hope more from Europe will help requesting this and shout loud to Shopify.

Best regards

jan Hanson

1 Like
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
153 0 27

Hi all. Jan, as I said to you in an email on Friday, it's already at the top of our list to be looked at. I don't have an ETA yet on changes. Changes to the checkout have to be taken seriously as they affect every Shopify shop, are subject to theming by shop owners, etc.

VP Product - Shopify
1 Like
Pathfinder
114 0 56

@Shopify Adam, sounds good!

The order summary will help bring down the number of orders with typing errors (address, products etc.). We saw this in our current shop when it was first introduced many years ago.

To make everybody happy both issues could be implemented as options:

[] check this to enable order summary before payment.

[] check this if you don't want to comply to European law ;-)

1 Like
Excursionist
15 0 14

Hi Adam,

It is now more than 3 months i reached out and asked you to make this change.

Tomorrow i am forced to remove the danish e-commerce approval certificate until you can make this important change.

This is very embarrassing and will affect our sales.

I do not understand your policy, i mean 3 months should be time enough.

Regards

jan Hanson

2 Likes
11 0 0

Any news on this? 2 months ago it was "at the top of our list". Since then, nothing? This is crucial for complying with European legislation.

0 Likes