Exclude a tag from a collection

sam_Marshall
Excursionist
24 0 4

Seems simple enough but is there a way to create a collection but exclude products with a specific tag?

Katy
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
771 43 167

Hey, Sam!

Katy here from Shopify. Thanks for posting. ?

Currently, there isn’t a way to exclude products from a collection by tag by default within the admin.
Though I will pass this feedback along to our developers as a feature request on your behalf.
While our our other forum users may be able to help you custom code this to your theme, the alternative option would be to work with products that do have certain tags instead, and remove these tags from the products that you would exclude from the collection. 

Hope this helps you, Sam. Thanks again.

Katy

Katy | Shopify | support@shopify.com

Please note: This account is no longer regularly monitored.
 - If you need assistance please do start a new topic (referencing an older topic/post if you find this helpful).
 - Thank you for your understanding. We hope you enjoy exploring the Community.
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes
brlancer
2 0 1

Hey there – Just chiming in with our use case for excluding tags from collections:

We are getting ready to run our first clearance sale, and we created a "clearance" tag to assign products to this colleciton.

Across the site our product collections are organized by tags. Ex: products tagged "sweatshirts" are in the Sweatshirts collection, "tee shirts" in Tee Shirts, and so on.

We would like products that are put on clearance to be automatically removed from their default collections. Obviously, we can do this by removing their pre-existing tags. But it would be a lot nicer if we could simply assign the default collections to exclude products that are tagged "clearance".

Thanks!

Brian

kpvw
Shopify Partner
90 3 11

Hello! We just developed an app for excluding tags from smart collections - https://apps.shopify.com/advanced-custom-collections

Hope this will resolve your issue. Please try it out and let us know your feedback =)

0 Likes
cmyers
2 0 0

Does this app play nice with Launchpad?

0 Likes
mainePotters
Tourist
9 0 14

THIS IS RIDDICULOUS. Another example of Shopify making us pay for an app for a minor feature that should be in the system already. YOu can exclude any other piece of info when building collections except TAGS. 

EmielDruyts
2 0 0

Hello!

I was having the same issue, but my work-arround was to change the product-type of the item sold. In Product-Type you can exclude information. I know this is not the ideal scenario, but it does the trick... If you are taking items in an outlet for example, there is no reason not to change the product-type to "outlet" for example. This is something that can be changed back at any time, but I can imagine if you are doing it for a sale (that only is for 2-3 days), this will not be an ideal trick or work-arround.

Just wanted to share.

Best regards and stay safe please,

Emiel 

0 Likes