Existing business and domain

SteveJr
1 0 0

Hi all!

I already have a registered business with a purchased domain name logo and website. I'm going to create a link in my current website to take customers to my Shopify platform. My question is: Will I need to purchase another domain name if I already have one? Does anybody have experience with this? Im also new and figuring out this whole e-commerce thing. Thanks!

0 Likes
Rein
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
30 4 2

Hi @SteveJr 

Rein here from Shopify. If you are looking to keep the same domain this is totally possible to do. What you can use in this case is called a subdomain, then connect that subdomain to Shopify. It would look like shops.domain.com or whatever you like to call it. 

Here are the steps:

To connect a subdomain, complete the following steps.

1. Log in to the account that you have with your third-party domain provider.
  2. Find your DNS settings, domain management area, DNS configuration, or similar.
  3. In your DNS settings area, edit your subdomain's CNAME record to point to shops.myshopify.com.
  • In the Host name or Alias field, enter the subdomain that you want to connect to your Shopify store. For example, if you're connecting shop.johns-apparel.com, then the name of the CNAME record is shop.Often, you need to provide just the www prefix without the dot, but some domain providers need the whole subdomain www.. Use the existing entries as a guide, or follow your provider's instructions.
  • In the Type or Record Type field, enter or choose the CNAME record.
  • In the Points to field, enter shops.myshopify.com as the destination for the CNAME record. CNAME records must always point to a domain name, never to an IP address.
  1. Save the CNAME Record by clicking Save, Save Zone File, Add record, or similar.
  2. From your Shopify admin, go to Online Store > Domains.
  3. Click Connect existing domain and then follow the steps.
  4. Click Verify connection in your Shopify admin to confirm that your subdomain is connected to your store.

If you are looking for more info on this topic you can check here. 

Thanks, Rein.

Rein | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes