Export products HTML code difficulty

By_Twee
3 0 0

Dear experts,

Do you know of a way to decode HTML automatically in excel files? E.g. I get the below HTML coding in a product description (which I need to translate), and it is impossible to work with when you have 4000 products without having an automatic solution. 

Thanks in advance!

Carina

<div class="pdbDescContainer">
<div class="pdbDescSection">
<span class="pdbDescSectionTitle">Made in:</span><span class="pdbDescSectionText">Italy</span>
</div>
<span class="pdbDescSectionTitle">Gender:</span><span class="pdbDescSectionText">Man</span>
</div>
<span class="pdbDescSectionTitle">Type:</span><span class="pdbDescSectionText">Laced shoes</span>
</div>
<span class="pdbDescSectionTitle">Upper:</span><span class="pdbDescSectionText"><span class="pdbDescSectionList"><span class="pdbDescSectionItem">leather</span></span></span>
</div>
<span class="pdbDescSectionTitle">Insole:</span><span class="pdbDescSectionText"><span class="pdbDescSectionList"><span class="pdbDescSectionItem">leather</span></span></span>
</div>
<span class="pdbDescSectionTitle">Internal lining:</span><span class="pdbDescSectionText"><span class="pdbDescSectionList"><span class="pdbDescSectionItem">leather</span></span></span>
</div>
<span class="pdbDescSectionTitle">Sole:</span><span class="pdbDescSectionText">leather</span>
</div>
</div>
0 Likes
Dallas
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
907 60 175

Hey, there! 

This is Dallas from the Shopify Social Care Team.

When it comes to using Excel and giving information on the technical aspects that would fall a little bit out of my area of expertise. It would be best to direct all technical questions to Microsoft directly. However, with that being said I did find this video that may help you out. 

By the sounds of it, you are looking to add this HTML to the product description row in your Shopify CSV. If that is the case you may want to reach out to Microsoft directly to see if you are able to convert an entire column at once rather than just adding your HTML text to a text box and converting it that way.

I hope that helps to give you a few steps that you can take. If you have any other questions please do let me know.

Best,
Dallas

Dallas | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
BrentHOW
2 0 0

No! When Shopify exports a CSV of product data, it puts in all that HTML code, which is nigh unto useless for any imaginable next step. How does one get rid of it without clicking in 4000 cells and editing every product description character by character?

0 Likes
yori
Excursionist
19 1 2

I have a simple solution for you!

Replace text "<div class="pdbDescContainer">" to "", then press replace all.
Do this for all the text you like to delete.

yori_0-1619082283899.png

0 Likes
yori
Excursionist
19 1 2

I usually use OctoParse to scrape html text from pages.

0 Likes
BrentHOW
2 0 0
That seems simple enough, but with a few thousand products, with
multiple unique character strings in each product, it's just as onerous
as producing all of the products over again.
0 Likes
yori
Excursionist
19 1 2

Then Web Scraping is your best solution.

I will give you an example below.

After days and weeks testing multiple scrapers I finally found OctoParse

Best thing: It's totally free for people like us.

So atm I'm setting up a shopify store with over 300 products.
The products can't be imported from sites like Aliexpress, Alibaba, Etsy etc.

They have to manually be added.

But all the products are spread around the internet on different sites. 
Titles, descrptions, prices, images.

So I'm using a scraper, to scrape all that data to an excel file.
Then I have to clean up the file and import it to Shopify.

Now I uploaded over 300 products in a few days of scraping and combining excel files.
It saves weeks and months of work, in just a few days. 
Can you imagine.

Try it out.
The only difficult part is going through a few tutorials. 

0 Likes