Extremely slow store

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

Hello,

I am working on speeding up my store www.historly.se but I am not sure what to do....

I am getting around 75 on the score for page speed on Google which is not good but only 15! on mobile which is terrible.

I am running the Icon theme and have compressed almost all my images on Tinyjpg to between 50-300kb. 

I am running the following apps:

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 1.57.49 PM.png

Any ideas on how to improve page speed? I have a feeling the current state is hurting conversions.

Thank you so much! 

//Hanna

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Expert
716 54 160

I found a few issues that you can resolve:

1) Console errors

These usually indicate missing file requests or javascript errors. Sometimes they're harmless, sometimes they indicate larger problems like loading old app code.

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 9.23.15 AM.jpg

2) Lazy loading

Lazy loading is a coding technique to load images as the user scrolls, instead of all on initial page load.

It looks like you have some form of lazy loading, or at least partial code, but there are still images not lazy loading (19 potentially on the home page). You can see the results here: https://analyze.speedboostr.com/result/flo870a2ze 

3) Image optimization

There are multiple parts to image optimization (compression, size on server, file type). On that results page there are a couple smaller warnings for image optimization. You can see the details and offenders there.

4) Unminified CSS / JS

These should minified if they're hosted on your theme. The first 3 points above will help more, but in the pursuit of full optimization I would minify those.

Tools and scores

That tool I referenced is the Shopify Analyzer, it's a performance analysis tool specifically for Shopify sites.

I would start there to make sure you have the key optimizations for Shopify dialed in. Then if you're still unsatisfied with your speed you can take further steps (setup Google AMP, remove apps, etc).

Google PSI will knock down points for 3rd party apps (example case study: https://speedboostr.com/how-apps-affect-load-speed/), but the score isn't relevant to actual speed (I've done case studies on this as well) so I wouldn't worry about the score.

Just optimize what's possible, analyze your apps but do not delete them just to get a better score on any tool.

If you have the time and want to self optimize, this detailed Shopify speed optimization guide will help. If you want it done by experts send your website and contact to speedboostr.com/contact and my team will help you out.

Founder of Speed Boostr (Shopify optimization and dev agency).
Creator of Theme Scientist (A/B testing app).
Creator of Order Automator (app that auto tags + fulfills orders, send emails).
Creator of Tip Jar (add a tip button to your store).
Creator of Shopify Analyzer (free performance analysis tool).
My team also builds custom apps and automated solutions.
Enjoy the adventure!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
263 27 45

Hi @hannahedin

Hyde here from Shopify. Good question!

While Icon is a third-party theme they do have support available and documentation you can consult. For example, they have recommended image sizes here.

However image optimization, as you know, isn't the only thing that can slow a page down. Apps that inject javascript into your theme will make pages heavier leading to longer loading times. From the screenshot, there don't appear to be too many apps on your store currently that could be injecting lots of javascript into the theme. Sometimes though you could remove an app altogether and it will leave residual code that needs to be removed.

If you could have a think about all the apps you added to your theme and have since removed, and perhaps compile a list of them, you could then reach out to the app developers directly to ask that they remove any rogue code leftover.

It might be less time-consuming for you if you were to reach out to your theme developers directly beforehand to ask if they can have a look at the code to see if there's anything that they can tell is slowing the store down. You can contact them here.

I hope that helps, happy to answer any other questions.

All the best, Hyde

Hyde | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted

Hi @hannahedin ,

Yes You need to work on your website performance’s speed as I am seeing it is very low. Low mobile page speed may kill your traffic and affect your conversion. Your google page mobile speed score is only 16% and desktop speed score is 47% . It should be above 80.

Mobile:

hs.png

Desktop:

hss.png

There are many numbers of pages on your website with poor loading time which need instant attention. Fast page load time will also boost your website’s crawl rate.

In order to Improve website speed your need to:

-Remove unnecessary code on a high priority basis.
-Compressed images or Defer offscreen images.
-Web Pages need to be Minified.
-Reduce JavaScript execution time
-Minimize main-thread work
-Organize your tracking with Google Tag Manager
-Beware of excessive liquid loops
-Decrease thumbnail image size
-Weigh the benefits of installing another app

By fixing these issues, your website speed score can definitely improve. For more details please check - https://www.oscprofessionals.com/shopify-performance-optimization/

I hope you like my feedback!!! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask!!
Thank You!

Want to modify or incorporate custom changes on store, Hire us
If helpful then please Like and Accept Solution .
Email: pallavi@oscprofessionals.com
Whats app
Free Website Review and advice for sale from Shopify Conversion Experts | Shopify Private App | Custom Theme Development | Custom Modifications In To Shopify Theme | Shopify SEO ; Digital Marketing & amp | Site Speed Optimization | Performance Site Audit
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I just opened a store and worked on it for two solid days, it is sooooo slow, I am the only guest.    vintageniche.myshopify.com

Zero traffic and I even paid to promote it.

0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

I am beginning to wonder if the items I have posted area too expensive or just really undesireable....I have never had as much trouble selling anrthing in my life as I have in the last five years.

vintageniche.myshopify.com 

0 Likes