Facebook Pixel Connection to Shopify

Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi All!

It seems like as of September 4th, you can no longer just go to Preferences and add in your Pixel ID. I don't want to connect my store to Facebook the way it's asking me to do now. This is a personal preference for many reasons. Is there a workaround (even adding it to the code somehow) to just use the pixel ID? 

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
127 21 35

Hi @rna1990

You could, yes.

You can add your Facebook Pixel code directly inside the <head> tag of your theme.liquid file, but it would mean that you'd also need to manually code all the e-commerce events that are usually automatically calculated (such as add to cart, view content, etc). You'd also need to add a separate script inside your Settings > Checkout field, to account for the rest of the events (initiate checkout, purchase) that would track your conversions.

Panos Voulgaris
Creative director / Partner @ MALVI
Founder @ function( )
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Hi pvoulg, 

Thanks for your suggestion here! This is what we thought, but weren't sure if this new change with Facebook would hinder this in any way. I will get this tested asap then. Thank you!

One question for you - do you know how much can be done with the Settings > Checkout section? Given that we're not a Plus store. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
127 21 35

You shouldn't have an issue with the changes, as these mostly involve the native Facebook Shops, which is a whole different feature (one which you can also setup separately from your Facebook Business Manager). 

The scripts field in your checkout settings will accommodate pretty much any script you need to run that pertains to tracking sales during the checkout/purchase phase. So Facebook Pixel scripts, Google AdWords, marketplace scripts and anything else you might need to track, works fine. Just make sure that you add a condition that scripts run on the first visit of the order confirmation page, as some conversions may be tracked incorrectly if a user visits the page several times after they've purchased (eg. Facebook suffers from that, from time to time). You can make sure it only runs on the first visit by adding an if statement, like so:

{% if first_time_accessed %} 
<!-- Your scripts here -->
{% endif %}

Apart from that, scripts will not run inside the checkout page directly, so you cannot alter or add any features there. 

Panos Voulgaris
Creative director / Partner @ MALVI
Founder @ function( )
1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
6 0 1

Thank you so much for your help!

1 Like
Highlighted
4 0 0

The app doesn't work in case you are wondering... It's a hot mess right now. No idea when they will fix it.

0 Likes