Facebook pixel not firing Initiate checkout

Tamoor
3 0 0

In my store facebook pixel not firing initiate chekout at checkout page, please can any one suggest the solution.
Store link: https://digital-advertising-playbook.myshopify.com/

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
834 66 201

Hi, @Tamoor!

Julie here from Shopify Support.

Thanks for sharing the link to your online store. I took a look here on my end and I do see that the InitiateCheckout event is firing properly. To confirm, did you enter the pixel ID in Online store > Preferences? Also, has the InitiateCheckout event ever fired for you or is it missing entirely? 

Currently, the InitiateCheckout event for the Facebook tracking pixel is only fired the first time a customer navigates to the checkout. If the customer goes back to your online store and updates the cart before returning to the checkout, that event does not fire again. This could be why you aren't seeing this event fire. To confirm if this is the case, I recommend testing this out in a different browser or a new incognito window to see if the InitiateCheckout event fires there. You can access incognito mode through the Chrome browser by heading to File > New Incognito Window.

Once you've given that a try, please let me know what you see! As a site note, if you want to find out how many customers are reaching the checkout, you can also do so by referring to the "reached checkout" section in the overview dashboard section in your Analytics.

Adding a pixel to your online store is a great way to learn more about how customers interact with your store. It also allows you to see how your ads are converting. As you continue your advertising campaigns, you might be interested in checking out our blog post on marketing analytics here. This post covers everything you need to know about how to collect data from your marketing activities and what you can do with that data.

I hope this helps! If you have any followup questions, or if you're still experiencing issues with your Facebook pixel, please feel free to respond here and I can further assist.

Julie | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
lucyatlacuna
Tourist
3 0 0

I am also having this issue - the 'Add to cart' event is working, but when you click 'checkout now' it fires a 'Page View' rather than an 'Initiate Checkout' event in the pixel. I am using Brooklyn theme, but have tested both with the pop-out and page carts, and get the same issue. Can you help?

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
834 66 201

Hey, @lucyatlacuna!

Thanks for joining the conversation. 

Currently, the InitiateCheckout event for the Facebook tracking pixel is only fired the first time a customer navigates to the checkout. If the customer goes back to the storefront, updates their cart, and then goes back to the checkout, that event is not called again and you would instead see the PageView event. Since you're testing this out on your own store, it's safe to assume that you've navigated to your checkout at some point in the past, so this sounds like expected behaviour. 

Moving forward, if you want to know how many customers made it to checkout, you can refer to the "Reached checkout" section in your Overview dashboard. This can be accessed in the Analytics section of your admin. 

However, I'd like to rule out any other potential issues with your pixel. If you try navigating to the checkout in an incognito window (in Chrome, this can be accessed in File > New incognito window), does theInitiateCheckout event fire?

Let me know how that goes!

0 Likes
MarkZala
1 0 0

Hi @Julie!

I have a question regarding the fact that Shopify limits initiate checkout events to only the first time the event occurs - What happens with regards to Dynamic Product Ads on Facebook in this case?

That feature on Facebook depends on parameters that get passed back on this event for the purpose of retargeting with dynamically generated ads based on the products that were "Checked-Out" - If the event only fires the first time around and does not any further for consecutive Check-Outs, I fear that this may break my DPA set up on Facebook. 

Thanks in advance for your help in resolving this. 

0 Likes
Julie
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
834 66 201

Hey, @MarkZala.

Good question! I checked in with our Technical team to see if they had any insight on whether the InitiateCheckout event fires if a customer has returned to your checkout through a Dynamic Product Ad. 

The inner workings of Facebook pixels are a bit outside our scope, so while I wasn't able to get a concrete answer, it's safe to assume that if a returning customer goes to your checkout through a Dynamic Product Ad, the InitiateCheckout event will likely not fire. However, it will definitely fire if the customer had cleared their cache since the last time they reached your checkout, or if they are using another browser/device.

Moreover, if the customer had already completed their purchase the first time around, then the pixel will probably recognize the second visit as a brand new session and there's a good chance the event will fire. 

That being said, they did suggest that it would be best to confirm this with a Marketing Expert through the Shopify Experts Marketplace. There, you'll be able to connect with Marketing Experts who have deep familiarity with Facebook pixels and how events are tracked through different types of Facebook Ads. The Facebook Business Help Center might also be a useful resource for information about pixel tracking.

While this isn't a definitive answer, I hope this helps! 

0 Likes