Facebook shop: Add a text field to check out?

Highlighted
5 0 0

Tue 8 Nov 2016, 6:58 pm

Hi ForumMates,

I think I already know the answer to this one  :o{  but I thought I would double check with y'all.  We have a facebook shop and for one class of products we sell (family crests - coat of arms) we need customers to specify their surname at checkout.  There doesn't seem to be any way to add a text field, and obviously the "variants" options with drop down list wouldn't work.  I guess we can have them add this info to the optional "company" field, but that is clunky and inelegant.

Am I missing something or is there a work around for this?

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
50 0 4

Hello, Rex!

Xue here from the Shopify Team to help you out with your question!

From the information I gathered in your post, I'll have to assume that you are only selling your products on Facebook. If this is correct, you're right at the moment, Facebook restricts the look and feel of the checkout process and there wouldn't be a way to edit/add fields. The current workaround would require you to reach out to the customer when they've placed their order to confirm the surname they'd like associated with the product purchased. Of course I agree this is less than ideal, however, the shopping experience is still new to the Facebook team, I'd encourage you to reach out to them and provide your feedback so they may consider this for future updates. 

The alternative would be to have a storefront (website) where you are able to edit the HTML/CSS to request for the custom information. Shopify has created a document for shops that have their website hosted through Shopify to obtain additional information for products with this guide: Get customization information for products

Feel free to get in touch with our Support team at any time if you'd like additional information or to discuss upgrade options. 

All the best, 

Xue | Shopify Guru 

0 Likes
2 0 0

Has there been and change in this answer in the last 2 years?  Is there any way to add custom fields/options to the product or checkout?

Thank you!

0 Likes