Fake abandoned checkouts on my store

User001
1 0 8

I had 2-3 stores. I had a customer named John Smith and Emily Boyd during random abandoned checkouts, (like 10-15 in a day). The information they provided is all fake. They will use google's customer support number as their contact number. Some fake street addresses, and random servers. They would use servers from India mostly. This person is literally ruining my conversion ratio. I am interested in knowing on how can I block this IP or can block this particular person, or anything else that may help. Can someone help me in solving this matter, please?

Bo
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1704 181 503

Hey there, @User001 

Bo here from Shopify Support! 

I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing this issue, it sounds extremely irritating. There are a few options out there for stopping this from happening. As this sounds quite like bot behavior, one option would be to make customer account mandatory upon checkout. This will prevent these bots from filling in bogus addresses as they would have to register as a customer and go through a reCAPTCHA.

Another option would be to install our free app, Fraud Filter. Fraud Filter allows you to create filters to prevent certain known customers from placing orders on your store. 

Once these customers have been bloced you should see your conversion rate go back to normal and just in time for Black Friday - Cyber Monday too. Have you got anything in mind for your store for that busy season? I would recommend taking a look at our BFCM toolkit here.

All the Best,

Bo 

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
seanphurley
2 0 8

Hello - This seems to be a system-wide issue? Is there anything that shopify is doing at the platform level? It's a material issue that is injurious. Are you not able to strip it yourselves?

Bo
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
1704 181 503

Shopify does have CAPTCHA technology present on forms such as the newsletter or customer account sign ups, however they will only generate when multiple attempts to enter data into the field are made from the same IP - having it appear by default would make it more difficult for real customers to enter information into forms, which of course is something we'd want to avoid.

While this technology is something that can be bypassed by certain bots in certain cases, the Fraud Filter I mentioned is developed by our team to help combat this. 

All the Best,

Bo

Bo | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
UncleCharles
Shopify Partner
4 0 10

Your Fraud Filter does not combat this at all..

Shop007
Shopify Partner
3 0 5

Hi,

Was anyone able to find a solution for this? This fake google bot has seemed to get on our store as well. If anyone was able to come up with a real solution to combat this. We'd appreciate it!

James155
2 0 4

Have the same issue with John Smith and google address abandon carts. But over in woo commerce. Anyone found a solution?

Kregon
Tourist
3 0 11

Having the same issue here. 

It would be nice if Shopify would take this seriously and give us some tools to combat this, since (as mentioned) fraud filter is only effective against actual checkouts, not abandoned ones. 

Denis_B
Tourist
5 0 20

Same Issue - but now have Jack Black as well as John Smith - Shopify needs to fix this