Fake store with name of charge leading to a political site

Highlighted
2 0 0

Placed an order on activehat.shopify.com and never received an  update beyond an order confirmation. I emailed the seller a week later and have not heard from them. It has been two days. Upon checking the status of my order, I'm faced with a "this shop is unavailable" error page. 

The interesting thing about this is that the name of the charge is "Arizona Advocacy Network." Turn outs it's a democratic political organization. I do not think they had anything to do with this and the scammer was just using their name as a facade. 

If it's at all relevant, the seller's contact is "servicecenter.nss@gmail.com" and again the website was activehat.shopify.com

Currently, I am working on getting the charge reversed. But I learned several things in this ordeal for which I think others should consider. 

• When shopping on Shopify, do ONLY use a credit card. Debit cards are less protected. (I did in fact use a debit card and it's a much longer process to reverse the charge) 
  • Take note of the name of the charge on your bank account. If it's claiming to be from an organization that's completely unrelated to the store you ordered, you could contact the seller but most importantly, work on reversing the charge on your account. 
  • Again, if it's too good to be true, then it's probably a fraudulent site. 

For all, please shop carefully. This first time experience with Shopify was not a good one and I do not think I will be doing business with any shopify hosted stores moving forward. 

0 Likes
Tourist
8 0 1
What day did you make the purchase?
0 Likes
2 0 0

Thursday

0 Likes
1 0 0

Of course I placed an order with them on Sunday, only to realize I've been dooped it looks like. The charge shows up as Alameda Contra Costa. Going to dispute it, but man this sucks. 

0 Likes