Faster way to sort order of products and merchandise large categories ?

Highlighted
9 0 0

Hello,

I'm a Web Merchandiser for a fashion business and we recently made the switch from an older platform to Shopify. Just about everything works faster, but sorting product orders and make sure categories look good has been a much slower process so far. 

Example : An urgent or specific situation requires me to put navy colored items or specific sweaters on the top of the new arrivals page. They are currently at the bottom of the page. My new arrivals page contains about 70-80 products. 

I've looked around everywhere but right now it seems there is no quicker way but to slowly drag them up from the collections's page.  Being in fashion, the esthetics and overall look is really important, every line of product is a calculated outfit. 

So I guess my question is : is there an app or a quicker way I don't know of, to get the bigger picture of the page layout, and quickly move product in the page from one place to another?

Thanks ! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
660 0 121

Interesting question.

Are you after a better user interface so you can re-arrange the order quicker?

Or do you want to set up rules to define the order (instead of manually sorting)? e.g. first all products with tag 'navy' first, then by descending creation date.

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

A better user interface would definitely help. 

I think the answer resides in a solution where it still leaves room for manual moves, but accompanied by a faster way to do so or a faster way to move than just patiently dragging up and down items of a 100 items page.

The problem with anything that would be set up based on rules, is that I feel like it would limitate some outfits. For example, if anything that is tagged Navy is up first, I guess a navy polo, with navy jeans and a navy cardigan can do it.  But I could want to boost my beige jeans and match them with a grey polo and black sneakers.

I know this is quite abstract since nothing seem to precisely sort my problem here, but I'm convinced a lot of people have really large product collections they'd like to be able to move around faster.as well. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
660 0 121

I'm not sure I can think of a better way than drag and drop.

But, since you seem to be most concerned with selecting a few items and pushing them to the top, a possible solution may be the ability to right click a product and choose 'Move to top', which would put the product on top of the list.

Maybe you could even multi-select products and move them all to the top at the same time.

You could still use drag and drop and refine the order of these top items like you can now...

I explore this as an abstract an idea with you because I have been thinking about building an app that makes it easy to manage collections... I doubt Shopify would build anything like this...

0 Likes
Highlighted
9 0 0

That would be a simple and yet effective solution. 

A simple click or manoeuver to fully slide down or fully slide up would definitely be helpful considering that's the most frustrating part of the process to me. 

Drag and drop is just fine when I'm moving things that are close to one another. 

Definitely keep me updated if you ever pursue the idea of building an app like this, I'd give it a try for sure. 

Thanks for the good insights Clement! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
660 0 121

Ok I'll keep this in mind and will let you know if I ever get to it.

Highlighted
13 0 0

Very useful thread. I really love this forum! So much important stuff to learn!

0 Likes
Highlighted
7 0 0

Hi Carl. Did you ever get your request resolved? I'm working on building out our Shopify plugin portfolio and an easy product manager may be a great fit!

Need a new app? We can develop it for you for free! https://www.blueleaf.info/shopify.php
0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
7 0 1

Check out the app "Collection Manager". I use it to manually bulk sort collections (can select multiple products at once to adjust sort saving a lot of time).

I would LOVE to figure out how to reference an external file that contains a 'master sort' and not have to manually sort at all, but for now, that app 'Collection Manager" works well.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 1

I have the same concern with sorting within a collection.  I have over 800 styles in a view all collection and it has literally become an entire day's task at this point.  There should be a plug in app for both sorting rules and drag n drop sorting as well as ability to bulk select and apply a sort number.  All should work coherently.  Prior to Shopify, I worked with Salesforce and they have the most effective tools for site merchandising in addition to predictive sorting and ability to create sorting rules around all given attributes.  It is amazing and Shopify should really consider taking a deep dive into how Salesforce does it if they want to be leaders in this field.  Site merchandising gets overlooked a lot and with the magnitude of skus offered in an online store - this should be one of the top focuses on enhancements.