Solved

Why isn't my Shopify favicon appearing in the browser?

NorbertDev
Excursionist
18 0 4

Hi everyone,

I have a little bit of troubles in making the favicon to appear in my browser. Currently, I made my picture 32x32 and background transparent. I uploaded the favicon, but nothing appears, what do you think the problem would be?

Theme: Debut

I can confirm that in the theme.liquid there is the following snippet code.

{%- if settings.favicon != blank -%}
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="{{ settings.favicon | img_url: '32x32' }}" type="image/png">
  {%- endif -%}

Thanks in advance

Accepted Solutions (2)

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

This is an accepted solution.

Hi, @NorbertDev,

Hank here from Shopify.

Depending on what way the code is present in the theme, and if the Favicon was uploaded within the editor, may cause a sort of clash, if not done correctly.

Adding a favicon to your online store can really help strengthen your brand and add a polished look to your website. For that reason, it is very important to get it right but naturally, sometimes this can be disrupted.

Would it be possible to share your store URL so that I can see if the favicon appears on my end? It may just be a localized issue like your Internet service provider (ISP) or your browser? Can you try opening your website using incognito mode to see if this now shows? If it does, then can you try clearing your cache and trying to view your website again?

Let me know how you get on!

Hank

Hank | Social Care @ Shopify 
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

View solution in original post

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thank you for that.

I can see your Favicon on my end, both in Chrome, Firefox, and Safari which leads me to believe the issue is a localized one, which can be tricky as it requires ruling out certain factors.

15-56-a1j8y-ky949

Can you try clearing your cache, and then trying once more on your browser to rule out a cache issue? If after that, you are still experiencing an issue, can you ensure you are using the latest Chrome browser?

View solution in original post

Replies 20 (20)

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Hi, @NorbertDev,

Hank here from Shopify.

Depending on what way the code is present in the theme, and if the Favicon was uploaded within the editor, may cause a sort of clash, if not done correctly.

Adding a favicon to your online store can really help strengthen your brand and add a polished look to your website. For that reason, it is very important to get it right but naturally, sometimes this can be disrupted.

Would it be possible to share your store URL so that I can see if the favicon appears on my end? It may just be a localized issue like your Internet service provider (ISP) or your browser? Can you try opening your website using incognito mode to see if this now shows? If it does, then can you try clearing your cache and trying to view your website again?

Hank

NorbertDev
Excursionist
18 0 4

Hi Hank - Thanks for your reply!

Actually, I had to wait for a couple of minutes and then it appeared 🙂 

Grand_Pacific
Tourist
35 0 1

Hi Hank,

My favicon isn't showing in incognito either. Not sure why. Everything is set up correctly.

The theme is Prestige, any thoughts?

GK

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thanks for reaching out, @Grand_Pacific!

Can you tell me a bit more about the issue you are seeing? Has the Favicon ever showed for you, or has anything changed in your store around the time you noticed an issue?

Your theme may have something to do with it, but I want to rule out a few things first. Can you confirm you have tried the above suggestion of adding the Favicon?

Grand_Pacific
Tourist
35 0 1

Hi Hank,

The theme is Prestige, the favicon is showing in the theme management section (and when social sharing the links in same image as with the favicon is there) but it doesn't appear in the URL bar. I have looked incognito on Chrome and its not there. It has never appeared.

Not sure why.

Thanks

GPD

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Would it be possible to share your store URL so I can check this?

I want to rule out if it is a localized issue, before recommending to reach out to your theme developer.

Once you share that, I will take a closer look on my end.

Grand_Pacific
Tourist
35 0 1
Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thank you for that.

I can see your Favicon on my end, both in Chrome, Firefox, and Safari which leads me to believe the issue is a localized one, which can be tricky as it requires ruling out certain factors.

15-56-a1j8y-ky949

Can you try clearing your cache, and then trying once more on your browser to rule out a cache issue? If after that, you are still experiencing an issue, can you ensure you are using the latest Chrome browser?

Grand_Pacific
Tourist
35 0 1

You were right. It was a cache issue. I thought I had dealt with it but seemingly not!

Thank you very much for your help and if you have any POVs on the site do let me know.

Cheers

GPD

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

You are very welcome, great to hear the issue is resolved on your end.

I took another look at your site, and you can clearly see the work you have put in, it really shows! I will suggest two things, but more so because you have so many great features currently in your store.

Having an about us page is very beneficial to your store, and can tell more of a story about your business. Telling your story is important, and it will keep customers coming back to your brand. I see you already have some information within the footer menu which is great, but I will share this guide with you on how you could expand your story, putting more information in this can prove to be very successful for your store. That is an excellent guide about the power of an about us page. Moving it to the main menu can have a great impact on your customers further trusting your brand also!

Another option you could use to build your store is by having a blog. Blogs are a great way to keep your customers engaged and encourages them to come back to view more content and newer products. Here is an awesome resource for Blogs. Again, I see this in the footer menu, but depending on what way you would like to showcase it, moving it to the main menu could give the blogs some more love.

Certainly do reach back out to us if you need anything, stay safe, and have an awesome day!

Grand_Pacific
Tourist
35 0 1
Thank you for the feedback and I will read your notes.
The blog is there though under The Weather Diaries
https://grandpacificdrivecustoms.com/blogs/news
[https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0510/2046/4326/files/Artboard_-_GPD_-_black_transparent_-lozenge_l...]
News
grandpacificdrivecustoms.com

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

It sure is, my friend. 

I was just suggesting if you wanted to try to move it to the main menu, it may showcase it a bit more, but that is entirely optional as it exists in the footer menu.

Again, awesome work with your store so far!

Grand_Pacific
Tourist
35 0 1

Thank you for that idea. I will certainly try it out.

Once the photography is right for the spaces it will look miles better.

I have another question you may have come across previously. How can I have a scrolling logo on a transparent header and not have it white out. I have seen comments on other themes but prestige doesnt have this option. Is this at all possible?

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Each theme would have different capabilities, but as this is a third-party theme, I would recommend reaching out to Prestige directly about this to see if it is possible. I have their contact information also.

As you have shared your store URL, hopefully, someone with more technical skills in the community will come across this and be able to add some value to you here, but if not, your best bet might be to reach out to one of our Shopify Experts, who you can hire to do almost any custom work on your store.

If you were to reach out to them about this query, they would be able to resolve this issue for you.

Grand_Pacific
Tourist
35 0 1
Awesome. Thank you!!!!!
ChipBWF
Visitor
2 0 0

Hi Hank: I'm having a similar issue with the favicon not showing in web browsers (Chrome, Edge, etc). This seems to be happening in mobile and desktop. For now I have added the favicon via the shopify back-end interface. The URL is brotherswormfarm.com. I've also checked incognito mode and the issue is the same. Thanks for any assistance you can provide,

Chip

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thank you for reaching out about this, @ChipBWF.

I too am not seeing the favicon in Chrome, Firefox, or Safari, so I believe it may be something to do with the theme, if the code was changed in any way, this may be the cause. Some apps can alter the code also, so it could be something along these lines.

If updating the theme does not resolve the issue, I would recommend reaching out to your theme developers. Do you know what theme you are using and who supports it? Let me know and I can point you in the right direction in terms of support.

Another option is also through the Shopify Experts, who you can hire to do almost any custom work on your store, or as you have shared your store URL, a member of the Community may also assist with this.

ChipBWF
Visitor
2 0 0

Thanks Hank, I haven't made any code updates to the theme. I'm using the Canopy-Kiln theme. I'll reach out to them with a request.

Best,

Chip

Hank
Shopify Staff
1102 128 187

Thank you for the additional context.

I have their contact information here for you, and they will be sure to advise of the issue.

yyyyy6666
Tourist
10 0 0

Hello hank hope you can help me out, my favicon only shows up for myself, and not others nor does it show up when i go incognito mode, i used this code. 

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="//cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0606/8410/8002/files/FB_PROFILE_LOGO_POD_180X180_e12f4651-6cdf-4e57-b590-f00f675435ee_32x32.jpg?v=1638515575" type="image/png" />