Favicon not showing

Stephanie_Stant
2 0 0

I followed all directions on http://docs.shopify.com/manual/configuration/store-customization/colors-and-images/favicon (adding icon file to assets, adding the respective code below <head> in the theme.liquid file) but the favicon is not showing. I have a feeling it has something to do with the location in the theme.liquid file. I've seen it should be placed under <head> or placed under <title>. I've tried both but they haven't worked (see screenshot). Is there a certain location? I'm using a purchased theme (PixelUnion's Lascaux) but I don't know if that's causing the issue.

My file is .ico and 16 x 16 px as recommended. I also tried with png (and of course switched the code) but it also does not work. I'm using Chrome and I'm assuming the favicon should definitely be compatible.

Let me know - thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Massaad
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
329 0 35

Good afternoon Stephanie, 

I've just taken a look at the storefront and the file for the favicon doesn't work, when I look in the theme assets its also not there. 

Perhaps the favicon was deleted after you followed the directions in the docs. If you upload the favicon once more it should be possible to link it up, let me know if this doesn't work out and I'll take another look for you :)

Cheers

0 Likes
Massaad
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
329 0 35

Actually disregard, I had another quick look and saw that the name of the icon was changed.

I adjusted the theme and how it shows up, great work (it was 99.9 percent you!) It is now listed as {{ 'smalllogo.ico' | asset_url }}

Have a great day

Stephanie_Stant
2 0 0

Thank you very much Massaad! It's working perfectly now - really appreciate the help on this unsupported topic! :)

0 Likes
Tyrone1
2 0 0

Hi all,

I'm having the same problem. New to this, but I double checked all that I knew how to, and still can't get the favicon to show up when viewing my page (using Chrome).

Could someone take a look and perhaps offer some advice?

<head>
    <link href="{{ 'Favicon.png' | asset_url }}" rel="shortcut icon" />
    <meta name="google-site-verification" content="qhNBzW6t53LIFl-oKLb58z0PeAFhu5_nuEKEtJIqUSw" />

(Favicon.png is a 16x16px file).

0 Likes
Jason
Shopify Expert
10360 158 2009

Your favicon.png is not a 16x16 file (it's 1328x1250).
You can get a sense of that in the attachment you posted - the tiny speck in the middle is the part you want. Crop that image down to size - or use this:

(Most browsers will take a 32px png so that's another option as well)

I jump on these forums to help and share some insights. Not looking to be hired, and not looking for work.

Don't hand out staff invites or give admin password to forum members unless absolutely needed. In most cases the help you need can be handled without that.

★ http://freakdesign.com.au ★
0 Likes
Tyrone1
2 0 0

Ahh, so it looks as though I need to work on my InkScape skills as well!

Thanks Jason, that was indeed the issue!

0 Likes
Thaned_Rojanape
1 0 0

Hello Support Team / Other Members,

My favicon is not showing. I followed the instruction exactly and have tried both favicon.ico and favicon.png (in 16x16 px and also changed the code accordingly, of course).

If you have any other ways for me to try please let me know. My website is dermum.net.

Kind regards,

Thaned

0 Likes
Massaad
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
329 0 35

Hello Thaned,

Good news! Your theme has the option to show the favicon already - no need to change any settings. Are you able to undo the changes you made or re-install the theme?

For your theme (and most Shopify themes from the theme store) you can just visit your Theme Settings (not the template editor code) and here you will find a simple option to upload and select a favicon.

If you require any assistance with your Shopify theme just send an email to support@shopify.com and we would be happy to give you a hand since the favicon is already a feature built in :-)

Have a creative week!

0 Likes
Kate_Mitchell1
1 0 0

Alex The Great! 

Can you help me too?  I think I'm having the same problemo as Stephanie.  My Favicon is named favicon.png and is 16 x 16 pix.  I added to assets and then added the snipped to the liquid theme - once in main area, second time under favicon. No dice.  Have also uploaded on the theme editor.  No dice again.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kate

0 Likes