Feature Request: CHANNEL-SPECIFIC Continue Selling When Out Of Stock Option

Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 10

Problem: If you have any products in your store that are set to 'Continue selling when out of stock' so you can take Pre-Orders and Backorders, it creates major problems for 3rd party sales channels like Amazon and EBay. 

We use a Pre-Order app to properly communicate backorders to our customers on Shopify before they place an order, but these channels have no way of knowing that the product is on back-order and so will take orders as if the product is in stock.  People who order on Amazon/EBay are not expecting any delay in shipping so they will almost always cancel their order once they learn the item is delayed and in turn leave a bad review or flag your account. And of course they are right - products shouldn't be listed on these platforms as 'In Stock' if they're not.

If the 'Keep Selling When Out Of Stock' setting was channel-specific in Shopify, we could disable it for those channels and it would solve a major problem for us on the platform. 

Anyone else dealing with this issue or found a workaround?

1 Like
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 1 2

Were you able to find any solutions for this?

I need something similar, where I don’t want retail customers to make purchases but I do want wholesale customers to be able to make purchases. Regular workarounds don’t really work on this functionality as anyone could check out

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 10

No, I haven't yet.

For the wholesale issue, I'd check with the team at Wholesale Gorilla and see if their app can help. You can probably do what you need by creating a duplicate product - one that is shown only to retail customers and doesn't oversell/backorder, and one that is only shown to logged in wholesale customers that can be backordered. I'm not sure if I understood your use case perfectly, but that can definitely be done using the WG app to control what's shown based on whether a customer is wholesale or not.  You would also need a way to make sure inventory is synced between the duplicate products so they match, that could either be done manually or with a 3rd party app as well. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 1 2
Thanks I use WG now, it’s decent but limited. Duplicate listings is not an option bc we use stitch and stitch is super clunky and outdated. Not worth the hassle dealing w duplicate listings on the back end, and even admin side it’s not idea.

Thanks tho!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 10

I use Stitch also. We have some duplicate products in Shopify and just link them to the same SKU in Stitch so the inventory stays correct for any duplicate variations of the same product. It's painless and works smoothly on our end but it sounds like you might have a little different situation. Good luck getting it sorted!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
14 1 2
Stitch told me we couldn't link 2 shopify products to 1 stitch listing.

Do you have duplicate listings in stitch as well?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
16 0 10

No, just one listing in Stitch. I'm not sure why they'd tell you that, but when you create a new item in Shopify it should appear in Stitch as an Unlinked listing - then you just have to go in and link that to an existing product in Stitch. You should have no problem linking duplicate Shopify items to the same Stitch SKU but you'll probably need to reach out to StitchLabs if you're having trouble still.  Just keep in mind all reporting and tracking in Stitch will only be for the single 'real' SKU so you won't have any differentation there. But your Shopify reports will show you sales data for each individual duplicate product still if you need it.

0 Likes