Feature Request: In-Store Pickup

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 6

This is the most requested feature from my customers, and I know I loose sales not being able to offer it. In store pickup isn't possible in Shopify today for two reasons.
(1) Abuse of the free shipping "Pickup in Store" workaround. People use this to game free shipping. Some of my products cost literally hundreds of dollars to ship by freight, so I can't allow this kind of gaming.
(2) Sales Tax avoidance. Because of Shopify limitations on the order page, customers can edit the shipping address with any of the "click and collect" apps to their address (or an out of state address) rather than the store address. This goes back to the first problem, and creates the issue of incorrectly collected sales taxes. Colorado has over 600 tax districts, so if they change the address at all, it's bound to trigger a different tax rate.

Shopify, please offer a native Omnichannel in store pickup option that addresses these problems!

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
813 50 103

Hi there @X_Sorin!

Don here from Shopify. :)

I'd be only too happy to file a feature request with our developer team for this functionality for you.

Would you be happy to share a link to your store here, so we can add that to the request to provide some use cases for our devs?

It's not totally necessary, as I can file a request for this on your behalf without the store details, it's just helpful to be able to attach real examples to these requests where possible.

I look forward to hearing from you. :)

Regards,

Don

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 6

Thanks Don.

Store is MileHighAstro.com

We obviously have a physical store and do a majority of sales through the POS, but many of our customers research online first and many have told us they would like to buy on the website and pick up in our store. This has become standard with larger retailers, and seems like a major missing capability in Shopify at this point for us smaller retailers.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
813 50 103

Hi again @X_Sorin!

Don from Shopify once again. :)

Thanks for that store link and your further feedback.

I have filed a feature request for this for you so our developer team is aware of this desire for greater functionality.

This is one of the more common feature requests we get, so hopefully, it will be added to the platform sooner rather than later.

For news on any new or improved features or updates to Shopify, check out our Announcements blog.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

0 Likes
Highlighted
4 0 0

Finally in store pickup is available! But painfully MVP. Anyone at Shopify can advise on what roadmap looks like for this feature? e.g. Customer choose pickup time; Retailer set time to prep, etc. Given COVID19 this is all very necessary and timely as many of us lean into preorders. Further, right now the Shopify Pickup feature is causing errors with my previously configured Zapiet checkout and I am trying to decide if I need the Zapiet app (and if they'll fix it) or if this will be OOTB on Shopify in a satisfactory way.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
813 50 103

Hi there @Chelcd!

Don from Shopify once again.

Thanks for your feedback and queries here.

I checked in with our technical team who confirmed that we don't have a timeline to share on new functionality for this feature as of right now.

A great place to look for upcoming changes to the platform is our Announcements blog and you can go through changes that have been put in place already on our changelog.

What I can do for you from here is to file a request for any functionality you would like to see added to this in the future so our developer team knows what our merchants are looking for.

If you can give me some info here on what you would like to have added specifically (you've already provided some info here, but as much specificity as possible is always good).

If you can also let us know why that matters to your business and share a link to your store here (not mandatory, but helps our developers to know what sort of businesses are looking for what) I can file that request for you internally then.

All the best!

Regards,

Don

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 6

First off, the quick addition during COVID of this feature is much appreciated!  It is obviously very rough around the edges, but functional for the majority use cases, so THANK YOU to the team!   

A few notes after using this for more than a month and over 100 customer pickups:

1. Need to be able to change orders between pickup and delivery. We get people who order for pickup, then change their minds/can't make it during store hours, or people who order for delivery and decide they would rather pick up. There is absolutely no way to change an order between pickup and delivery without deleting it and doing a completely new order.
  2. Need to be able to edit pickup orders, to add items or change items.
  3. Need to be able to create pickup orders from the Admin for phone orders. We are doing this through the public website as a workaround, but this is not ideal.
  4. Need to be able to show customers store hours and other custom information on the checkout page when they are placing a pickup order.
  5. We still get a significant number of customers who select the express checkout options like ApplePay and PayPal and wonder where the pickup choice is. 
0 Likes