Feature Suggestion - Archive outdated products

Highlighted
Tourist
4 0 1

This has been an active request forever!!! Are you actually working on it? 

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 8

I started this a year and a half ago and six months ago they had this big announcement that finally this was here!!!  Yeah, never mentioned it again.  This is crazy that so many people need this and we are totally ignored. Very frustrating and looks terrible on Shopify. Never should have said it was here!!! Why? Why would you say that six months ago?

Highlighted
2 0 0

Adding my vote as this would be really helpful to our team!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 8
Don't hold your breath!
Highlighted
Explorer
38 4 15

It's now on Beta! Available to some stores at this moment.

https://help.shopify.com/en/manual/products/details#product-availability

Highlighted
1 0 0

Adding my vote for this feature. This is something that is really required for stores with high number of products.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Excursionist
12 0 17

So, I made this thread/suggestion quite some time ago and have been patiently following and waiting on progress, hoping that one day Shopify would implement a solution to this issue.

I saw the details about the new Beta, I waited for it to be finally available on my store, excitedly I looked at the new archive option...

Archiving this product will hide it from your sales channels and Shopify admin. You'll find it using the status filter in your product list.

... really?  So this is just deleting a product with extra steps?  We could already remove it from sales channels.  Great, it hides it in the admin.  I guess that is a plus.

But is still removes all front-end user facing data!  It still negatively impacts SEO, customer UX and has all the same negatives of... just deleting a product, or removing it from sales channels.   Which we've been able to do forever.

The whole point is that products are content for your website.  Even if they're outdated and you don't sell them anymore this is unique content you've created that people look for, product information, product images, product reviews.  This still brings people to your site.  It still has a positive impact on user experience by allowing the customer to research the product they are likely looking for, even if you no longer sell it.   It still gives you the opportunity to sell people other products because they found your site looking for this discontinued one.

Archiving a product using this feature will still return a 404.  Customers can no longer follow a link to this product or find it in search engines.  As far as a user of the site is concerned, it may as well be deleted. 

I'm not an expert on these things by any means, but how difficult can it be to add some additional functionality to this "states" feature?  Give us an additional state called "discontinued" or something that removes it from collections, maybe site search, but still leaves the page live for direct traffic and search engines.  

@Peter I appreciate you being active in this thread and on this issue, if you see this post can you please forward these concerns/feedback onto somewhere that matters.  It is incredibly frustrating to wait years for a solution to our problem only to have one presented that doesn't appear to address a single one of the issues raised.  

I understand it's not easy to keep everyone happy and implement every feature suggested, but this is clearly something people need.  The fact that resources have been put into a new feature with apparently little or no consideration for the suggestions made here is more than a little disappointing. 

I'm not even really sure what the point of this new archive button is, just decluttering your products in Shopify Admin?  We could already set products as "unavailable" in the sales channel, and we could already filter products by this option.  As far as I can tell this literally provides 0 new functionality, just a slightly more streamlined version of something that already exists.

0 Likes