Feedback Please: I get lots of traffic but only a few sales.

Highlighted
Hello,

I am a fairly new business owner. I have an online women’s boutique called JMW Boutique. I have gotten a few sales but not as many as I would like to. My website is www.jmwboutique.com Could you please give me some feedback and/or tips on how I could get more sales or first impression about website? Thank you so much.
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
132 14 19

Hey, there!

My name is Lilith, I'm on the Social Care team at Shopify.

I've had a chance to take a look through your site. Looks like you have a good idea and a good structure so far! Love that you are doing a fashion oriented brand that leans towards the body positivity movement. You are well on your way to a really cohesive brand!

I've broken down a few areas that I think you may benefit from taking a look at. These can improve sales to some degree. With that said, it is likely going to be easier to assess what direction you may want to shift to if you had a bit more information on what your current marketing and social media efforts you have engaged in. If you want to add that as a reply, I'd love to chat more about it and help guide you in the best direction.

Overall Site Feedback

Product Descriptions

Great start on the point form nature of your product descriptions. It is ideal to have some point form list of features and product details. I recommend also adding a short paragraph of about 3-4 sentences on your product pages describing the product itself and how it is used. Here are some examples of things you can add in this written description.

Keep in mind that adding more content to your pages, especially the product pages, will help eventually with your SEO rankings down the road. Google has an eye for sites that include good rich keyword content on their pages. That is not to say that you should just use keywords throughout your text, but to use it where it makes sense. When writing your content on any pages, especially your product pages, you'll want to ensure that you have well structured sentences that include keywords to the product and brand.

Remember that SEO also is not a quick fix to sales and traffic. It can take months for your site to rank properly with SEO so this is a method that should be worked on continuously alongside any paid ads or other marketing efforts.

Contact Us Page

This page can be used effectively with a form. We have several themes that can offer the form template for your customers to reach out to you directly, but through the form fields. Here is an example of what a form could look like:

alt

This will be a very important part of your site as you begin to drive more traffic to it. Generally speaking it is vital to not add your actual email to a website. The reason for this is that there are times when bots will scan through websites looking for email addresses to spam at a later point in time.

I also recommend getting a 1-800 business number to help you manage your customer calls as well if you wish to have direct contact with them. I've personally used services in my area that helped provide me with some toll free business lines that can direct consumers to specific messages as well as a direct link to my customer service if they have other questions not answered on the site or call messages. One of the most well known companies for this is Grasshopper. They are not affiliated in any way with Shopify, but this might help point you in the right direction to having your own professional phone line to help with call volumes in the future. Another one that I have seen be fairly popular is Open Phone which is an app that you can download for iOS or Android. Give them a try, I've had great success with these in the past.

Fonts

Loving the femininity of the site as a whole! The current font that you are using for headers is not bad. It is simple and quick to glance at for large headers and bold type. On that note, you may want to steer away from the use of script style fonts for the rest of your content. Below is a screenshot of your current content:

alt

The best thing to remember when adding text to any site is to ensure that your content (smaller) font is clear and easy to read. This helps to ensure that accessibility standards are met as well as helping to guide visitors to the right places without them leaving the site due to readability challenges. We do have a great guide for our theme partners, but is also super helpful for merchants working on their site aesthetics. The guide is called Why Fonts Matter: How Fonts Help You Build a Better Shopping Experience, I highly recommend it to help with any site!

Overall the sizing you selected seems to work well and the color contrasts for your fonts are also on point! Great job on that.

Social Media Recommendations

Instagram Posts

While viewing your site for feedback, I took the liberty of checking in on your social media profiles. More specifically for your type of business I focused in on your Instagram. I am really impressed that you had the opportunity to begin building that profile and getting regular posts going. That is one of the biggest challenges in maintaining a social media profile. It is important to stay consistent as much as possible.

I did have a few tips that can help you with your Instagram growth as well as generating sales through the profile. Below I have some tips and links that can be of help in the long run.

• Post on Instagram at minimum once a day, be sure to use the most optimal time for your audience to post, there is not right or wrong answer to this as it all depends on your Instagram analytics.
  • Include the 80/20 rule for content: 80% lifestyle and inspiring content and 20% product/brand/direct selling content - this helps your audience and new followers engage rather than bypass the content that might be 100% selling based
  • Try to use your max 30 hashtags for all posts, but try to rotate 2-3 different groups of hashtags for each post - Instagram will usually show your post more frequently if you refresh your hashtags every so often.
  • Along the same note of hashtags and other Instagram features, I thought I would include a guide to Using Hashtags, Stories, and More to Grow Your Business

For a bit more help in using Instagram as a way to begin generating solid traffic to your store and to help convert those visitors, I highly recommend checking in on the Shopify Academy for our latest Instagram Marketing course and our guide to Influencer Marketing on Instagram. Both of those will get you on the right track to generating great data and sales for your site.

Business Planning

Product Viability Testing

This is something that I recommend most times to new merchants. If you have a catalog of more than thirty products when getting started for the first time, I will always recommend planning a few different strategies.

The first thing that you can do to get your site's traffic to notice your products in a unique way would be to begin testing featured items. If you can find a set of about ten items that you can "lead" with, this will help you create a successful Upsell & Cross Sell Strategy to increase your average order value.

When doing a "viability test" you can advertise 2-3 products per week (or more) to the same audience. If you gain a large CTR in some but not others you will be able to assess which products are going to be your "go-to" advertising face items. These "go-to" products will act as a hook to get your audience to click to your site. If they buy that is great, but you have the opportunity to upsell or cross sell if that item does not suit their needs. Additionally, you'll have the chance to retarget those customers with Facebook Dynamic Product Ads if they've viewed the product page and did not purchase that day.

Feel free to drop any reply if you want a bit more in depth information on this or specific questions. I am happy to elaborate a bit further.

Business & Marketing Plans

Having a Business Plan in place is a good way to over come the struggle of having traffic, but no sales. If you can define your exact customer avatar in a few short sentences, you are well on your way to turning that traffic into buyers.

Here is our Ultimate Guide to Business Plans that will take you through the step by step process of coming up with a short or long plan for your business and its goals. It will also help guide you through defining your customer avatar or buyer persona. The most crucial piece to converting traffic coming to your store is to ensure that they are the right traffic for your store. That is where this planning process will help you save tons of time, money and headaches down the road.

I realize that is quite a lot of information, let me know if that helped! I'm happy to answer any questions you think of as you work through your store. Feel free to drop any replies to any business aspects that you may want us to take a look at including any conversion numbers you may have that we can dive into. Always happy to help!

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

1 Like

Hi Lilith,

I would like to thank you so very much for all of this helpful information.  I will definitely put it to good use.  I am kind of at a loss for words in a very good way (which rarely ever happens) but I really do appreciate you taking the time out to describe in such detail great feedback, tips and ideas.  I am so grateful!  Thank you again!  I will be in touch!

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
132 14 19

You're very welcome! I'm happy to help. Feel free to drop any questions as you work on things. Looking forward to hearing about your success!

Lilith | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
435 19 51

Hey @MBlackBeauty822 ,

I loved your store. Astounding products. Before wasting all your  money on further activities learn that your site doesn't convert your traffic sales—You need to validate your website before you spend money on traffic (ads). You need to make your store ready for engagement. Make sure your store is ready to capture and engage new visitors. If not then you may end up losing all your money. Because if you’re seeing a good amount of traffic but it’s not translating into sales, it may indicate there’s something about your site that’s not convincing customers to go through with a purchase. 

Yes, banner and pop-up can help you generate extra revenue through your company website. And make sure that you delay it to one minute to give your customers a bit more time to look around the homepage.

Conversion rates for pop ups are high and most surprising discovery is that the pop up doesn't increase bounce rate at all. This is ample time for your audience to get hooked by your content, whilst also being quick enough to catch skimmers before they leave.

Display reviews and testimonials, Whether you’ve got Google reviews, Facebook ratings, or simply positive comments that customers have emailed to you, make sure you creatively showcase them on your store.

You can create a seperate review page. I would recommend you to add a button on your homepage so that every new visitor can get a glance.

Create an engaging and interactive website. I see engagement missing in your store. I would love to suggest you what more can be added in order to boost up your sales and low down your bounce rate.

Chatbot- Chatbots in your business is that they save time. For instance, when used on your website they can provide fast, automated answers to most questions.This will engage your customers and prevent customers from waiting for a day or longer to receive responses as they would have in the past.

You need to start focusing on your "website engagement and interaction". No matter how much effort you put on your store but everything will go in vain if you are not able to capture your visitors on the website. Email me at support@aitrillion.com, I also have some other suggestions & productive feedback in order to overcome this situation of lackluster results.

In Fact let me know your availability and we can schedule a direct call and discuss in detail on how we can work on increasing engagement on your store.

Regards,

Aitrillion.

Want to maximize your engagement and sales?
Visit AiTrillion.com
0 Likes