Fractional quantity : App or developper for website !!

2 0 2

Hi, like many others here, i sell fabric and I would like to find a way to sell in decimal quantity, even if shopify doesnt manage decimal. First, to show you what i want the website to look like, here is 2 links of fabric shop that manage decimal and how they present it :

https://www.clubtissus.com/fr/jardin-de-paris-rayon-menagerie-by-rifle-paper-co-turquoise (this website is made with shopify so i guess there's a way to do it !!!)

https://www.fabric.com/buy/cw-843/charms-bees-yellow

So when you buy a fabric with one of those website, you have 2 boxes to choose the quantity to order : if you want to buy 2.25m, you enter 2 in the first box, and in the dropmenu, you choose the decimal.

With my research so far, i saw two things i can do, so please tell me which one is the best and if I need a developper to make it :

Option 1 : If i sell fabric in meter, i could put my product in cm. For example, the cost for a product is 5$/m, the sale price is 10$/m and i have 10m in stock. I will enter 1000 quantity of 1cm, the cost will be 0.05$ and the sale price 0.1$. So in my POS, its easy to manage it because i will know how to enter the sale.

Problem : Online, it will be to hard for the customer to enter the right quantity, because fabric is always sale by meter (or yard) not by cm. So is it possible to have my system in cm but a different view, like fabric.com, on the website ??

Option 2 : Everyone that i showed the fabric.com or clubtissus.com website told me that i need to use variant for my product. So, if i want to sell minimum .25m, i would need to create 4 product variants (.25, .50, .75 and 1.00). The thing i dont understand is how i manage the inventory with that method. If for example I have 20m of one product, that mean i will need split my stock between each variant. I could put 10 units of the 1.00m (10m), 6 units of .75 (4.5m), 5 units of .5 (2.5m) and 12 units of .25 (3m).

Small problem : In POS, if i want to sell 2.25, i will chose 2 units of variant 1.00 and 1 unit of .25 . Its not to hard to manage, but a little problem.

Big problem : How can i manage the inventory ??? Its not because i'm out of stock with the variant .5 that i dont have enought lenght to sell 1.5 m for example. And how can i easily see my inventory when i have many variant ??? And on the online store, i dont want customer to choose 2 variants, it need to be easy like on fabric.com

Well, if anyone can help me to get things to sell like fabric.com and to still have an easy way to follow the inventory, I will really appreciate !!!

1 Like
Shopify Partner
36 7 34

I can confirm clubtissus is using a variant on the main product. 4 variants just like you said. 

Both of these systems you show are using 1 stock for 1 unit of length. So if they are adding 20m of bee fabric they add 20 in the stock section. 

I personally wouldn't recommend using the cm method, it would be too confusing for customers and it's always best to use what they are used to. Which is the two selections as shown on these sites.

Without needing significant development I would recommend adding 16 or 17 stock units ( presuming you have 20m ) and not tracking the stock of the .25, .50, .75 and .00 . This mean these variants would never go out of stock but you may be left with some stock at the end of the day. I think this will be best for now and if sales are going well it might make sense to build something custom to tackle this problem.

Thanks,

Ken.

Personal Shopify Development for $40 an hour. Contact me by private message or by email at info@kenkinneen.com
0 Likes

Hi, 

Hope you are doing great.

We can add a bar which user can use to give the proper length. They just need to stretch it and internally it will add multiple counts.

For example you can break the entire length in .25 cm and user can simply select the length on the bar. Internally it will take the multiple of .25 cm.

For example if user bing the bar to 2 cm, we will internally make it as 4 units of .25cm

So it will be only one variant internally and count of that.

Please let me know if you want this to get done? We are a Shopify partner company with experience on these types of customization. You can ping me on skype at anand@firstwireapp.com or message me on FB m.me/firstwire 

P. S. - Please check our portfolio and testimonial at  https://firstwireapp.com/shopify-services/portfolio.html

Have a great day

Best Regards

Anand

We are a Shopify Partner Company
Built more than 100 Shopify Stores
Connect to me on m.me/firstwire or skype at anand@firstwireapp.com
Check portfolio at https://firstwireapp.com/shopify-services/
0 Likes
Highlighted
2 0 0

Hi,

I have a client that has a retail store, selling fabric. They moved to shopify for their POS, but it won't do fractions so they are using two systems right now, it's terrible. When this is discussed most places on here, it refers to websites. Is there a way to program the POS system to do fractions? I would like to get the store correct first before moving on to their website. Also, ballpark cost?

0 Likes

For POS, you can just have one variant , that would be the lowest fraction (like .25 or .1) and do the quantity as much as you like. So for example if your lowest fraction is 0.25 cm and if some come and ask for 30 cm fabric, select this variant and put quantity as 120.

If you have total 100 cm fabric then your inventory is 400 quantity.

It is the easiest and least confusing way.

We are a Shopify Partner Company
Built more than 100 Shopify Stores
Connect to me on m.me/firstwire or skype at anand@firstwireapp.com
Check portfolio at https://firstwireapp.com/shopify-services/
0 Likes
2 0 0

Thank you!

I first suggested inches, but they aren't too happy about changing from 1/8 yards... Should be an interesting discussion.

0 Likes
2 0 2

Kenkinneen :

I guess it would be a good alternative to start, not tracking the .25 .5 and .75 stock. That means I would need to adjust manually my inventory regularly, but still be a good start.

Thank you

1 Like
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

Hi,

I ran an online fabric shop and closed in March of 2018.  I had the same problem as you and the worst of it was getting people to understand what was needed.

Most solutions proposed keeping separate inventories for the quarter, half, and full yards.  Which is crazy, right?

I finally had a Shopify web developer code something for me.  There were some unsolvable issues.

What I settled on was 1/2 yard minimum increment.  My inventory was stored as double; meaning if I had ten yards in stock I listed 20.  When someone bought 1.5 yards my inventory debited 3 units.

1) Shopify's native granularity regarding price and weights was a problem.  I could only go down to 1/4 yards before Shopify started to round up the quantity.  Price was even worse.  Something that was 5.99 per yard was impossible to cut to 1/4 yard because Shopify would round up first then count the increments.  So for 1/4 yard increments of 5.99 fabric Shopify would round 1.4975 up to 1.50 then multiply by the number of "units" to make the total amount.  In my example of 1.5 yards using 1/4 yard as the minimum buy, Shopify would charge the customer $9 instead of $8.99.  Not a big difference, true, but still not accurate enough for ecommerce.

2)The second issue was front facing appearance.  It was one thing to code into the theme the ability to handle inventory this way and another struggle to get the theme to look ok to the customer.  On previous platforms I had tried the "enter two for one yard, three for one and half yards" type of thing and I got no end of emails and worried customer.  The whole point of this is to be seamless for your customer, right?  So a ton of effort went into changing the theme to display quantity as a decimal count, i.e. 1.5 instead of 3.  This involved making a new product and whenever I entered new fabrics I had to make sure to set the product type correctly.

3)Another issue was theme updating.  Since Shopify wants all the code changes within the theme whenever my theme had an update I was I needed the coder to go in and change the new theme.  My coder changed my theme once permanently, this was not a subscription.  The problem with a subscription is that the coder would need to completely understand the problem, most people don't get it.  I couldn't see my theme going thru an update and then the third party subscription code breaking and me being stuck with a non-working website.  Even though I was not able to get my theme updated easily I could plan for the change and not be blindsided.

4)Finally the end checkout page of Shopify is fixed and not subject to the theme in regards to price or quantity.  After going thru all the trouble to get this special code, I still couldn't show my customer that they had bought the correct quantity.  I settled for a graphic store "logo" that explained 2 units == 1 yard of fabric.

I had checked dozens of web shopping solutions and the only platform to handle this natively was ZenCart.  I used ZenCart for several years but the look of the website was primitive with equally primitive SEO.  I switched to Shopify and got my theme modified.

If you want me to provide the coder's name or more details go ahead and email me: redbeautytextiles _at_ gmail.com

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
6 0 0

My coder that did my fabric shop wanted 10 units == 1 yard of fabric originally.  Shopify doesn't allow this granularity in weight or price.  So any solution using decimal places past two will also need to develop a fairly elaborate algorithm and separate database to store the fractional price and fractional weight somewhere.

All of this could be solved if Shopify would just change their granularity - a "feature" I requested for years.  

0 Likes