Fraud alert and steps I took! Help!

1 0 0

Hello everyone. Help me please - what do you think? I had order which came with high risk - i assume cause of its large amount and says address and IP address are 4 miles apart. per instructions I emailed customer and asked to verify order and then asked for copy of licences and copy of both sides of credit card. which she did - she emailed me all of the info. is it safe? only thing concerns me - i googled address for shipment and who lives at that address  - its not person who ordered it. Do i bother her again and ask why is that (3d email) or cause she sent me all requested info - i fulfill her order? thank you

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
579 37 55

Hi @Tcrobar,

Ted here from Shopify, thanks for reaching out to us!

This is a great question! So I've taken a look at the account and I can see that this is indeed in reference to a big order so you've done the right thing by asking the customer for more information. You are well within your right to ask for more information due to the large sale.

Just to confirm, did the customer send you a copy of their ID and their credit card? If so, are you happy with that the information they've provided is satisfactory? I see that our own Account Integrity team have asked for merchants in the past to take a picture of themselves while holding their ID for verification purposes. I know this might not be ideal to ask, but you could ask for this information due to the fact that this is a high-risk order. I see the customer has not provided a phone number either. Due to what was ordered, I find it hard to believe why a customer wouldn't add as much information as possible so there's no issue with their shipment. So you could email the merchant and ask for a phone number too if you would like to chat with them as mentioned in this guide

I've also sent an email to you directly there if you could take a peek. If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know, I'm happy to help!

Thanks a mill,

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
9 0 0

I am also facing a similar issue :/ This is really stressful.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
579 37 55

Hi @skzai,

Thanks for reaching out and for letting me know!

So I'd recommend checking out this guide and complete each step to help determine if the order is real or not. Please make sure to add a fraud prevention app for extra security. These apps allow you to block the person's information if you determine that it is indeed a fraudulent order. You are well within your right to reach out to the customer and ask for more information too. As mentioned my reply above and in addition to the guide I linked earlier, I'd ask the customer to provide the following:

* A photo of their ID and credit card, with any sensitive information blocked out. 

* A photo of themselves holding the same ID up to their face.

* A bill with their name and address on it (that matches the order), such as a phone or electricity bill with any sensitive info blocked out.

* Calling the phone number as well is always a good bet. 

I've also sent you an email in regards to this if you could take a peek. Please let me know how this goes!

Thanks a mill,

Ted | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes