Fraudulent Orders?

Highlighted
1 0 0

Over the past few days, I’ve been getting a lot of orders that seem to be fake. All for the same amount, all paid with PayPal and all have a different shipping address to the billing address. Two are marked by Shopify as possibly fraudulent but the others aren’t.

Since the traffic has increased I wondered if you might know anything about this and how I could find out / stop it?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
826 50 103

Hi there @Laurasikka!

Don here from Shopify. 

Sorry to hear that you may have had some potentially fraudulent orders made in your store.

This is an unfortunate part of doing business online, but there are steps you can take and tools available to you to give you the best defence.

You can check out some fraud prevention tips here.

One of those tips is to install our own, free Fraud Filter app.

Among its functions is the ability to block a given customer or type of customer depending on the filters you put in place.

Check it out, see if any of the other tips shared above would be relevant in this case (they will likely come in handy generally for orders like this) and think about how you will address these orders.

All the best!

Regards,

Don 

Don | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
30 0 7

Hi Laurasikka,

There are a few fraud signals you can research in order to determine the risk of an order. Key pieces of info:

Email
   * Does the email appear to be automatically generated with random characters & letters?

* Is the email disposable? i.e. hosted by temp-mail.orgguerrillamail.com

Phone

* Does a carrier lookup show a disposable/VOIP provider? Criminals love creating fake usable phone numbers with services like Google & TextNow

* Does the phone number's area code match the billing address/shipping address of the order? 

Billing Address

* Compare the billing address to the shipping address, are the registered names different?

* Compare the distance between the billing & shipping addresses, is it very far apart?

* Use google maps to drop a street view pin - does this building appear to be a house? Or is it in the middle of a highway?

Shipping Address

* Same as Billing Address

IP Address

* Use a geo-ip locator service, is this address very far from the Billing & Shipping addresses?
    * Is the IP address associated with a VPN or Tor?

* Is the IP address located in a different country altogether?

Even after going through all of the order's information, and you still feel uncertain about fulfilling it you can still rescue the order by performing verification. Emailing the customer or texting them to verify the they didn't just give a bogus email/phone is helpful. Criminals use multiple identities in their day to day "work" it's difficult for them to remember which identity made which order. Just simply asking to verify the items ordered or the last 4 digits on the card is effective at keeping you safe from chargebacks & preventing stolen credit card usage.

If you have any further questions about fraud & prevention, please reach out. This is my speciality and I'm very interested in the cat & mouse game of online fraud detection & prevention.

Verdict App - You shouldn't have to think about fraud on your Shopify store.
Ask me about
1 Like
Highlighted
1 0 0

I'm having issues creating rules on the Fraud Filter App. It seems as though I have to put in specific CVS, or AVS, or address, or email.

Instead, I would like to filter out transactions with no CVS or AVS. With this app it doesn't appear that I can do that. Could you help please?

@Don wrote:

Hi there @Laurasikka!

Don here from Shopify. 

Sorry to hear that you may have had some potentially fraudulent orders made in your store.

This is an unfortunate part of doing business online, but there are steps you can take and tools available to you to give you the best defence.

You can check out some fraud prevention tips here.

One of those tips is to install our own, free Fraud Filter app.

Among its functions is the ability to block a given customer or type of customer depending on the filters you put in place.

Check it out, see if any of the other tips shared above would be relevant in this case (they will likely come in handy generally for orders like this) and think about how you will address these orders.

All the best!

Regards,

Don 

0 Likes