Free Donation app

Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2

Hi,

I am looking for an free app or code that would add a donation/pay what you want button at checkout.

I am giving away a digital product for free but some of my customers said they'd be happy to donate a few dollars to help in these harder times and I want to offer them the option.

I've been looking for a solution for hours and I can't find any. Help!

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
480 36 78

Hey @Charles35

This is Ren from the Shopify support team, thanks for posting. I think I have just the app for you. 

Check out Pay What You Want. It does require you to establish a minimum (even just $1) but as a bonus, it can integrate with Digital Downloads and will enable your customers to determine the price they'd like to pay directly on the product page. 

The app does come at a cost of $5/month, however you do have 7 days to trial it and make sure it's the right fit for your business needs. Just be sure to remove the app prior to the end of the trial to avoid being charged if you do not wish to proceed with it. 

I love that you are giving away a product, this is a great way to increase your traffic. Is that your goal? I'd love to know more about the decision to do so. Let me know your thoughts on the app! 

Ren | Social team @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Click Accept as Solution 

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2

Hi Ren7, thank you for your reply.

The goal of giving something for free isn't (just) about driving traffic but mostly do do some thing nice and free for our customers. 

I believe that because of the recent events Shopify should implement a donation option without having to pay a monthly subscription to an app. You should be able to natively give your customers the ability to offer a donation to the brand (there are other solution to give donations to charities).

Right now we're in a situation where we have to pay to be able to offer our customers the ability to make a donation. It doesn't encourage small business owners to do something nice for their customers. 

It would also be good to have the donation button "included" in the add to cart. What I mean by this is having the customers choose their buying price (could be $0 or $100000...) instead of being able to totally bypass the donation button.

Hope this helps the community and adapting the upcoming developments of Shopify to fit the current (and future) world we live in.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
480 36 78

Hello again, 

I totally understand and recognize the position you are coming from and I appreciate the clarity in your reply.

At this time, there is no native way to set-up a donation button so the only options would be via a third-party app (like I suggested above) or you could possibly find a developer to custom code it in for you. We have a marketplace of developer to consider at the Expert Marketplace.  

I will however take your feedback to submit to the appropriate team as I agree that this would be an excellent feature that would fit into the current and future circumstances of how businesses must adapt in these times.

That being said, I did some digging to see if there was anything else that might work for your consideration! One option would be to create a separate page that you would include in your header, and embed the PayPal donate button. This means people would be able to donate and support without even making a purchase. Making the button is quite easy and you can find more details or start here.

Another option to consider would be to create a Product named Donate and create multiple variants (however many you want) to allow customers to add a donation to their cart. The downside is that you would have to determine the denominations instead of the customer choosing. 

Again, I thank you for the constructive feedback and hope that for now one of the options above can be implemented. Please let me know if I can clarify anything for you.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
480 36 78

Hello @Charles35!

Ren here again, I just wanted to reach out in case you missed the announcement that a tipping feature is now available to set-up on your shop! Pretty good timing. You can find out how to activate this feature on your admin as well as other important notes on the tipping feature at this link here. 

As this is a brand new feature, I'd love to hear your thoughts and get any feedback you may have. Give it a shot and if you have any further questions, I'll be here to help! 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 1 1

Any add-on donation app requires customer data to be run through the app/developer. This is a non-starter for us. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
3 1 1

Question on tipping. Is there any way to change tipping from percentages to flat amounts? Percentages for tipping makes perfect sense, but less so for donating.

Thanks! Hoping to be able to utilize this new feature soon. 

1 Like
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
480 36 78

Hello there!

Thanks for the great question. At this time, there are 3 tipping percentages that you can designate in the admin and the customer is also given the option to add a custom tip using a dollar amount. The tip limit is automatically set by the cart total. See example below: 

This means that customers can offer larger tips with larger order totals, much like tipping at an establishment. Hope that helps clarify! That being said, I can certainly take this feedback to the appropriate team as this is a new feature and any feedback is valuable! Let me know if I can help clarify any further. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2

Thank you Ren, this is great step forward and I'm going to use it!

1 Like
Highlighted
Tourist
8 0 2

Hi Ren,

I just tried the new feature but i only have access to % amounts. I couldn't find the custom tip field. Is there another step to do to unlock it?

@Ren7 wrote:

Hello there!

Thanks for the great question. At this time, there are 3 tipping percentages that you can designate in the admin and the customer is also given the option to add a custom tip using a dollar amount. The tip limit is automatically set by the cart total. See example below: 

This means that customers can offer larger tips with larger order totals, much like tipping at an establishment. Hope that helps clarify! That being said, I can certainly take this feedback to the appropriate team as this is a new feature and any feedback is valuable! Let me know if I can help clarify any further. 

0 Likes