Free Samples

Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi! I have seen old posts about this topic, but it might be some new information (I hope :) ). I run a shop for cosmetics and would like to the customers to be able to pick out two samples to get for free by check out. Is there possibility to do this? I was thinking about creating a category, but I think it will be a bit complicated to get the customers to see and understand this. Do you guys have any ideas? / Therese.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
400 25 115

Hi, @tessier!

This is Rae from Shopify.

Thanks for reaching out to inquire about adding free samples to your store. I understand this is an important addition for your business, so I'll be glad to share some options that can be used to implement this feature. 

My first recommendation is to consider using an app that offers free products to customers, such as Product Samples or Free Coupon. Product Samples is specifically designed to allow customers to order free samples, whereas Free Coupon allows customers to order a free gift from a popup that appears directly on the site. 

Another way to offer samples is through upsell and bundling apps like In Cart Upsell and Upsell Bundles. These apps offer deals to customers that combine with what's already added to their cart, so they may be able to provide a more targeted way of offering specific samples to customers. 

Please keep in mind that these are third party apps that are created and fully supported by developers who are external from Shopify. So, if you need any help with setting up these apps, or if you have any questions or concerns about their usage, make sure to reach out to the app developers directly for more information. You can do this by following the steps outlined here

Can you please tell me a bit more about the categories you were thinking of creating? Would these be specific collections? Once I have more details on this, I'd be glad to look into this method further. 

I look forward to hearing back from you! 

Rae | Social Care @ Shopify
Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know!
Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!
To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center, or the Shopify Blog.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
9 0 1

Hi Rae!

Thank you for your reply.

I would prefer not to use another app for this issue and therefore I was thinking about creating a collection for the free samples. However, I am unsure how to communicate the possibility to choose two samples for free to the customers. The optimal sollution would be to present the optional samples just before check out and let the customers add them to the cart. Do you have any idea how to do this?

Thank you in advance!

/Therese

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
400 25 115

Hi, @tessier!

Thanks for getting back to me with these details. 

In order to present your samples as options to customers without using an app, you may need to use a theme that offers product recommendations, like the ones listed here. However, if your theme doesn't have this option built in, I recommend reaching out to Shopify Experts for more information about custom coding this feature onto your site. Experts are third party developers and designers who are very skilled in our platform, so they're the best people to speak with about creating custom features like this. 

In the meantime though, I also suggest looking into using Buy X Get Y discount codes to offer these samples. With this method, you could create discount codes that allow customers to receive a sample product for free once they purchase a full priced item. These discounts can be created to apply to products within certain collections only, so this would work well for the collections you're planning on creating for your samples. That way, you can put all the samples into one collection, and have them priced out so that other customers can't check out with just free samples. But, if a customer already has a full price item in their cart, they can use the Buy X Get Y discount to receive a sample for free. To offer multiple samples for free with this discount code, you may also want to consider creating a product that contains multiple samples offered as a bundle. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about this and I'll be glad to help further! 

Was your question answered? Mark it Accept as Solution to help others locate the answer!

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

Hi Rae! This is Paola, from Italy. I am interested in offering free samples as well, without adding an app, and my theme is one of the ones you listed (venue). Would you be so kind to explain me further how do you use product recommendations to provide free samples? Many thanks!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
400 25 115

Hi, @paolainsula

Thanks for reaching out about using product recommendations to offer free samples. 

In your reply, you mentioned that you're using the 'Venue'  theme. This is a third-party theme developed by Safe As Milk, so they would be the best people to speak with further about how to set up product recommendations on their theme. To contact them about this, please follow these steps, or visit this link and click the 'Support'  button on the righthand side of the page. 

If you instead were looking to add this feature to the 'Venture'  theme - which is a theme developed by Shopify - you can find more details on how to do this here

In the meantime, we have more information on using product recommendations here. I suggest checking this document out to get a better idea of how this feature works, and to determine if it will suit your needs for offering free samples. 

I look forward to hearing back from you about this! 

0 Likes