Free Shipping - Error

Highlighted
6 0 0

Hello,

I have setup Shipping options to be Price based with Free shipping over a threshold. I have Calculated rates using USPS as the carrier. if I update my cart to add new products and cross the $ threshold, I get a message "Your cart has been updated and the previous shipping rate isn’t valid. Select a new rate." still giving me the option for USPS from what was in the cart earlier. Is there a way to just show Free Shipping and suppress this error message?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
117 19 27

Hi, @hatkelife.

Sophia here from Shopify. Welcome to the Shopify Community!

Can you walk me through the process you took to edit the cart and head back to the checkout? If you're using the back button in your browser to go back to the cart and the forward button to return to the checkout, that might have been what caused the error. I tried out the process on my test store using Google Chrome and I was able to reload the updated rates with no error message. Here are the steps I followed:

1. Add an item to the cart and proceed to checkout
  2. Click "Cart" at the top of the checkout page to go back and edit quantities
  3. Increase the quantity of items to pass the free shipping threshold
  4. Select "Checkout" again to return to the checkout pages (you should be directed to the Shipping stage if you already entered your information)

Let me know if that works for you! If not, you may need to try clearing the cache in your browser before you give it another shot.

Sophia | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
6 0 0

Hello Sophia,

Thanks for your response. Clearing the cache or InPrivate browsing helped. A follow up question though, we default to USPS ground for shipping. if we cross the threshold, currently we see options for Free Shipping as well as the default Ground Shipping. Is there a way to suppress showing default shipping in such scenario?

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
117 19 27

Hi, @hatkelife.

I'm happy to hear that clearing the cache and using a private browsing window helped!

You might be able to suppress specific shipping rates with a third-party app, but otherwise, the Shopify checkout will pull all rates applicable to the current order. Are you worried that your customer will choose the wrong rate? By default, the shipping rates will be listed in order from lowest to highest cost, so the free shipping rate should be automatically selected if applicable. Then, the customer can choose a USPS rate if they'd prefer it.

0 Likes
6 0 0

Hello Sophia,

So while a private browsing session helped, I am not sure all our customers will be using that route. In a non-private browsing session, I see that the cart has a product selected. I go and remove the item from the cart so that the cart is empty and then select items with the pricing so that Free Shipping should be selected. I unfortunately see the same message "Your cart has been updated and the previous shipping rate isn’t valid. Select a new rate." and the selection defaults to USPS vs Free Shipping. 

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
117 19 27

Hi, @hatkelife.

It's true that customers might not be using a private browsing window, but I wouldn't expect this error to pop up for many customers. It's good practice to clear your browser's cache regularly to keep things functioning smoothly though, and if the customer has browser extensions installed, those can also affect their experience.

When you're going back to the cart to change the items there, are you using the back button in your browser, or are you clicking "Cart" near the top of the checkout page?

0 Likes
6 0 0

Either the Cart button or Option to shop more, no back button. I select an item that does not qualify for free shipping and go to checkout. From there I select another item to be added to the cart (or a cached session with an item in the cart that does not qualify for free shipping) and add another item that would total up to Free shipping and checkout. I can see the Free Shipping option but the default is what was in the earlier checkout process.

0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
117 19 27

Hi, @hatkelife.

I tried this out again on my test store, but my browser isn't presenting the error message or selecting a different shipping rate—it always selects the lowest cost shipping rate by default (tested in both Google Chrome and Safari). I'll send you an email so that I can test things out on your store specifically.

0 Likes