How can I apply a free shipping discount code to specific items only?

HH2
Visitor
1 0 2

Hello,

I'd like to create a discount code for free shipping, but I only want it to apply to specific items. I've had a look on both the automatic and manual discount options and unfortunately, the automatic option doesn't offer free shipping but you can specify which products.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible have a code for free delivery and apply it to certain items only?

Thanks,

Hannah

Replies 7 (7)

Finley
Shopify Staff (Retired)
201 26 45

Hey @HH2!

This is Finley from the Social Care team at Shopify.

Thanks for your question today.

I understand that you're looking for a way to have a discount code apply a free shipping rate to specific products only.

Though there isn't currently a way to achieve this with an automatic or manual discount in the Shopify admin, you have a couple of options here.

1) You could use a third-party app from the app store, such as Better Shipping or Automatic Discount & Gift.

2) You can create a new shipping profile to offer free shipping rates for specific products.

All the items in your customer's cart would need to be from this shipping profile for them to see the free shipping rate, which it sounds like it may work for your situation.

To create this shipping profile, you'll want to navigate to your Shopify Admin > Settings > Shipping and Delivery section.

From there, you'll be able to create a new shipping profile and add your free shipping rate like so:

20-11-thv7g-wo4c3.

20-11-asyf0-3vttp.

20-11-z8ea8-vcyc2.

You'll want to have the same shipping zones for both your General Shipping Profile and Custom Free Shipping profile so that the customer can still check out if they have products from both shipping profiles in their cart.

If you have any questions about this, or if I've misunderstood anything, please do let me know! I'll be happy to take a further look at this with you.

I hope you're having a wonderful day!

Cheers,

To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Community Blog.

yard-parish
Tourist
4 0 3

This is super long-winded and inconvenient. I hope Shopify and add this simple feature soon.

Disconancy
Visitor
1 0 0

Agreed!

RMedia
Shopify Partner
51 2 4

Hi,

We have recently built an app that can do this.  https://apps.shopify.com/better-free-shipping
It has a simple rule creator, and in this scenario, create a rule that checks the cart for products based on certain product tags (and offer free shipping).  Curiously, would you only want to offer free shipping if ONLY those products were in the cart, or ANY TIME those products were in the cart?

Founder @ Advanced Free Shipping, create custom free shipping rules easily.
- Set Free-Shipping by 20 parameters; products, collections, customers + more
- No need for confusing Scripts or Carrier Calculated Shipping
- To learn more about 'Advanced Free Shipping' visit our Shopify app page here.
thewater8oy
Visitor
2 0 0

How do you allow people to access the free shipping on certain items via a discount code so it's not always available? 

marvic
Explorer
53 4 13

Not possible. It's Shopify's 'All or nothing' approach. The whole community has been on this for ages and it is just frustrating that an ecommerce platform has such limited options to set up shipping rates. You could offer a free shipping discount and say it is only for certain items and hope that your customers don't abuse it. Some will try it for other products and then it will work. You can then cancel the order and anger a customer or go through with free shipping for a product that was not supposed to receive it.

RMedia
Shopify Partner
51 2 4

@marvic @thewater8oy 

This is 100% possible by using Advanced Free Shipping.

We have a 10 day free trial so u can test without risk. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks 🙏 

Founder @ Advanced Free Shipping, create custom free shipping rules easily.
- Set Free-Shipping by 20 parameters; products, collections, customers + more
- No need for confusing Scripts or Carrier Calculated Shipping
- To learn more about 'Advanced Free Shipping' visit our Shopify app page here.