Free Shipping with Google Shopping App

Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Hi - 

I offer free shipping on some of the products in my store. To indicate this, I've set the weights of those products to be 0 lbs and created a shipping rule in Shopify to recognize that any item with a weight of 0 lbs will receive free shipping.

I'm trying to transfer that same system into Google Merchant but within my GM account, it's showing the minimum weight of a product (to set a rule) must be 0.0001 lbs. 

Does anyone know of a way around this? How is everyone else setting the products in their Google Merchant feed to be free shipping?

Any advice appreciated! Thank you!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Pathfinder
310 1 30

@Caroline.. Can you try seting the minimum weight as 0.01 instead of 0..?

I make apps and can help you in setting up payment gateways..
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

I could by exporting the product list and updating those affected but was hoping there was an easier solution.

If not, I can do this.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi Caroline,

This one is easier. 

Set out the correct weights for the products. Don't set any products with a 0 shipping weight. Afteward set a shipping label in your feed called for example "Free ship". In GMC create a new shipping rule called free shipping and in the Affected products settings, Filter products by shipping label (advanced) and configure it from there.

btw :) there's no coincidence that I've answered both your posts. I'm not usually reading the Shopify forums, but I've created an alert where I get an email whenever Google Shopping is being mentioned in the forums, since that is what I do best :P.

Hope this will help you.

Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Thanks for the response, Stefan! 

We use the 0lbs shipping weight to indicate free shipping per product, so I'm not sure that setting actual weights would workd for us because otherwise, the only other way for us to indicate free shipping in Shopify (without adding an app to our platform) is to apply free shipping per order (rather than per product which is what we need).

Are you aware of another way to indicate free shipping for a product in Shopify that allows us to set actual weights for the products?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

From what I understand, right now you are using a weight based free shipping rates rule. In Shopify, you can also set a price based shipping rule. 

I found this resource regarding shipping rates for Shopify, following the steps here should do the job:

https://help.shopify.com/manual/shipping/rates-and-methods/free-shipping

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
18 0 1

Unfortunately we're not able to use price-based rates because it does not hold true for all products/orders, so we would need to do weight-based rates to apply to specific products.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

I could solve this issue by exporting your shopping feed to a google spreadsheet where we can customize weight and shipping outside shopify. This would allow you to have 0 shipping in Shopify and different shipping for Google Shopping and create a free shipping rule in GMC.

You can try to do this yourself by checking this resource: https://business.czarto.com/2016/06/14/shopify-google-shopping-feed/

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tourist
7 0 1

Hi Caroline,

It seems like you need a personalized solution. A free way to do this would be to export the shopping feed to a google spreadsheet, modify the data automatically in the spreadsheet and upload that to GMC. You can use this resource to find out how you can export the feed to an xml that can be read in google spreadsheets.

https://business.czarto.com/2016/06/14/shopify-google-shopping-feed/

If you want I can help you with setting it up.

0 Likes
Highlighted
1 0 0

@Stefan_T_1 wrote:

Afteward set a shipping label in your feed called for example "Free ship".

Ok, this is the million dollar question, how exactly do you do this ??? It appears that there is no way to assign that and have it used by the API. Please advise. Thanks !!

0 Likes