Free gift triggered by discount code

Shopify Partner
23 0 10

We would like to run a promotion for our referral program affiliates that gives customers a free gift with the use of the affiliate's code. I'm seeing lots of apps which have a free gift price threshhold, etc. but so far nothing that does gifts with a code trigger.

Is there a way to do this on shopify, or is this another thing that shopify's competitors offer but not shopify?

-General Manager The Twisted Monk
0 Likes
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
36 0 3

Hey Lily!

Jared here from the Guru team! Hope your day is well. 

There isn't actually a way to make a discount code add a product into the order. Once you get to the space in checkout where you enter the code, the cart has already been finalized and can't be modified unless you navigate back into the cart page to edit the order. 

What you could do is have functionality built by a developer to add a 'discount code' field added into the cart. This field could reference specific products when they type in a discount code.

You would essentially add your discount codes into a database and reference those discount codes to specific products. So that when the discount code is typed in to the checkout, the behaviour forces it to add a product into the cart. This may be a complex add-on but you can make a request to a Shopify Expert at https://experts.shopify.com/requests to get a free quote. 

Otherwise what you can do is manually send these customers free gifts. When you get an order, you can type in the discount code into the search field of your order and all orders using that discount code will appear. You can take those customers and send them a marked out ($0.00) draft order for whatever gift you'd like to send them. It's definitely not as automated, but it would work in the interim to get those customers the free gifts. 

Hope this helps a little. :)

Jared | @Shopify

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
23 0 10

I don't need it to physically add the item into the cart- I just need the customer to be able to input the code so that we see it when the order comes through.

Does the system allow me to make a code that has a null value as the discount? Say I made a code LILY which gave 0% discount on all orders, will the system let me do that? If so that would work for my needs. I'm not offering a discount AND a gift, I just need a way for the customer to indicate the referral in a way that our referral system (Refersion) can read. So using the discount code feature is perfect since I can set that as a conversion trigger.

-General Manager The Twisted Monk
0 Likes
7 0 0

Hey Jared,

I would like to implement such a solution, where the user enters a promo code and then gets a free gift (hidden shop item) added to his cart. I am just concerned that someone will be able to manually submit an HTTP request which would emulate this behaviour and then only buy the free items, esentially bypassing the cart and going straight to checkout with the free product. Is there some way to prevent this?

Thanks

0 Likes
Highlighted
3 0 0

hi Jared, 

Hope you are doing well.   Have there been any advances in this, or this still the best way?   

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
69 5 4

Hi @Rcfromb 

The feature motivator of App Selly can offer free gift based on cart subtotal:

https://apps.shopify.com/selly

You can also limit the offer to only customers who access your store via a specific landing link.

★ SELLY UNITED - The front solution to increase sales for online store and POS - https://apps.shopify.com/selly
0 Likes
3 0 0
But that’s not what we want to do here. We want a free gift when a code is entered. We want it to not appear unless you saw a valid
code applicable to one item on a third party site.

0 Likes
Shopify Partner
69 5 4

@Rcfromb 

You can put a link on a third party site.

Then only customers who clicked on the link, may see the free gift.

★ SELLY UNITED - The front solution to increase sales for online store and POS - https://apps.shopify.com/selly
0 Likes
3 0 0
But not as a code to activate it
0 Likes
2 0 0

we are trying to look for one of this app too, please let me know if you find one, thanks

0 Likes