Free shipping discount + newsletter signup discount

Solved
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
17 0 3

Hello everyone,

I have the following issue and it would be great to get an answer for it:

- When customers at my shop order for €60 and above, they get free shipping (shipping is normaly €4)

- I also offer a 10% discount on their first order when they sign up for the newsletter

Now the problem:

When people buy for exactly €60 and then apply the sign-up discount (here €6), they'll get charged with shipping again. Instead of saving €6 on the order, they only save €2.

Is there a way to work around that problem? I know, it is basically discount stacking but this is a big bummer for every customer and a big conversion rate dropper.

I send out my newsletter discounts with Klaviyo if that helps...

Thanks a lot

Andreas!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 58 116

Hey, Andreas!

My name is Lizzy, I’m from the support team at Shopify.

You're absolutely right, and it isn't possible to stack standard discounts. There is a way to set up your specific two discounts however! What you can do, is set up a free shipping rate for any orders over $60. This will mean that your customers automatically see the option to get free shipping during their checkout, and will still be able to add a discount code.

If you'd like to set this up, we have a help doc here all about creating a free shipping rate. You'll want to choose a price(value) based shipping rate and set the minimum to €60. 

Would this option work with your set up?

It's also great to hear that you're using email marketing to connect with your audience! Have you checked out our academy course on email marketing?

Thank you,
Lizzy

Lizzy | Social Care @ Shopify
 - Was my reply helpful? Click Like to let me know! 
 - Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
 - To learn more visit the Shopify Help Center or the Shopify Blog

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Partner
17 0 3

Hi Lizzy,

Thank you for the reply and the link to the e-mail marketing course.

I think I already have your solution implemented, could you please take a look at this screenshot from my settings menu to see if it is correct?

rates.JPG

This is the way it is now which is unfortunately not working.

People buy for €60 and are happy for their free shipping. Then they apply their 10% discount which makes their order value go to €54. Because of that, they now DO get charged the €3.99 shipping fee because the order value is under €60. Instead of saving €6, they get a mere €2.01 discount...

I personally have abandoned carts because of such issues and I think I'm not the only one.

Did I maybe set it up incorrectly?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 58 116

This is an accepted solution.

Hey @Andreas90!

Thank you for the screenshot and clarification of your set up! I apologize for any misunderstanding of your orignal question on my part. I had thought you were using multiple discount codes.

I can see what you mean now, as you're absolutely right, using the 10% discount on a $60 will result in a loss of the free shipping option This is because technically, the cart total will no longer be above the required amount. There isn't a way to change how this works at this time, as your shipping options are displayed based on the cart total, which is what gets directly affected by applying a discount code.

To address your concern of abandoned carts I was wondering if your pricing is set up so that $60 is an easy amount to reach exactly? Do you have certain products, often purchased together to reach this amount? If so I recommend either adjusting their pricing slightly, or adjusting your free shipping minimum to make it so that the required amount for free shipping is a bit off of the total of the commonly purchased products. This will give your carts more wiggle room to apply a discount and still qualify for free shipping!

Does that sound like it could be a good option for solving the conflicting discounts?

Let me know if you have any questions at all about what I've explained above!

Lizzy.

1 Like
Shopify Partner
17 0 3

Hi Lizzy,

no need to apologize.

While Shopify (unfortunately) doesn't offer a proper solution to the problem, your post got me thinking a bit and helped me solve the problem. Here's my solution:

• I have only three products in my store: one for €35, one for €20 and one for €5. Buying all of them together is €60, hence the free shipping for a minimium purchase value of €60.
  • Now, I still communicate in my announcement bar that the free shipping applies only for orders over or equal €60. However the real free shipping rate already starts at €53.
  • When people order for €60 and apply a 10% discount, the shipping is still free. When they buy for €55 and apply a 10% discount, shipping is added again. And when they buy for €55 and then apply a discount then they are positively surprised because they also get free shipping although their order is below €60.

This solution only seems to work for smaller stores with a low number of articles. It would be awesome if Shopify added an out of the box solution for this (I think both Magento and WooCommerce do this).

Anyway, thanks again for your help, much appreciated!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Shopify Staff
Shopify Staff
469 58 116

Hey @Andreas90!

I'm really glad to hear that you were able to find a solution! I also appreciate your feedback and will make sure to share it with our development team. We're always on the lookout for new ways we can improve Shopify, so suggestions like this are incredibly valuable. 

Thank you!

Lizzy

0 Likes